electrical fault

neil01

hi all, new on here so bear with me.

i recently came into a discovery 200 TDI, L reg 93.

it had been sitting for 18 months so i was well happy when after changing the battery and the shredded alt belt, that it started and i was able to get it home.

But... now, when i put it in reverse and move then apply the brake, all hell breaks loose!

the drivers side head light and indicator start to flash, the rev counter ticks in time and the coil light flashes in time. Other times the fuel guage decides it wants a peice and joins in too!

when i try anything else like wipers etc, she really doesnt like it at all.

Am i able to sort this myself or is it a lost cause.

regards,

NN

I know this may sound ridiculous( it does sound ridiculous) but check the bulbs fitted to the brake lights at the rear are the correct type ie double pole or single pole. A customer once bought a car into me and said that he could take the key out the ignition and it still kept running perfectly as long as he kept his foot on the brake. He was right and I found a single pole bulb fitted where a double pole bulb should have been.

The other favourite when several weird things happen is a poor earth connection, check all the earth straps (battery to chassis / engine, engine to chassis, etc.).

again, thanks.

as i said im pretty new to this so is there any good place to look for an easy picture/explanation of where these straps are or do i need a workshop manual (not a haines)

again, thanks.

as i said im pretty new to this so is there any good place to look for an easy picture/explanation of where these straps are or do i need a workshop manual (not a haines)

any help please....anyone?

thanks for all your help so far guys.

Now.... cleaned all the earth points, but....now, front lights fine when i put the brake on. the rear lights on both sides are not working at all!!

and the car cuts out when i move the lights from side lights to dipped lights or the wipers are turned on.

there also is a connector under the drivers facia that has 2x10 amp fuses in. one of the wires that runs into this is red and white and goes forward.this goes into the connector with ablack wire. the other 3 connectoions and black wires. thing is i have seen no mention of these fuses in any of the manuals or pics. is this right?

seems like i'm chasing the error at the moment!!

thanks for all your help so far guys.

Now.... cleaned all the earth points, but....now, front lights fine when i put the brake on. the rear lights on both sides are not working at all!!

and the car cuts out when i move the lights from side lights to dipped lights or the wipers are turned on.

there also is a connector under the drivers facia that has 2x10 amp fuses in. one of the wires that runs into this is red and white and goes forward.this goes into the connector with ablack wire. the other 3 connectoions and black wires. thing is i have seen no mention of these fuses in any of the manuals or pics. is this right?

seems like i'm chasing the error at the moment!!

just checked fusible links. they were intact but a little green so cleaned them off.

put everything back together and she just doesnt like more than one switch on at a time at the mo......?

just checked fusible links. they were intact but a little green so cleaned them off.

put everything back together and she just doesnt like more than one switch on at a time at the mo......?

i would still say that there is a earth fault somewhere does it turn over ok ,if it does then the earth to the engine is ok have you checked the earth to the body behind the battery presuming its the same as mine earth faults can cause a lot of hassle once you have cleaned them cover with grease etc but not between the metal to metal .chris

Are there any accessories fitted, or evidence of accessories being fitted, but now removed?

I'm thinking extra driving / for lights, CB, Telephone, Winch, DVD player.

Next, remove the two fuses and see what stops working, if anything.

You can post pictures in your posts, without having an account on a separate site, so if you can take pictures of any puzzling fitments, save them to your PC hard drive, then post them here, it will help.

Cheers.

thanks for all your replies and help guys. problem now sorted.

it was the earth point behind the battery onto the inner wing. battery not secure and pulled cable off the earth point! Doh!

did say i was new to this. got the vehicle for nothing, my mate just gave it to me as he sized up! so got a blank canvas to play with!!

thanks for all your replies and help guys. problem now sorted.

it was the earth point behind the battery onto the inner wing. battery not secure and pulled cable off the earth point! Doh!

did say i was new to this. got the vehicle for nothing, my mate just gave it to me as he sized up! so got a blank canvas to play with!!

rst landrovers at mersea are always helpfull not far from colchester .chris