MegaJolt - Pros Cons and General MJ Discussion thread

disconc

Ok ive had a play and yes what an inprovement.. i will post up a vex file as soon as i can work out how... Fridge your help please... :mellow:

You have an affective LPG map? Brilliant! :D

When you post it - could I request that you also do it in a format that non MegaSquirt/MegaJolt people can read (even a screenshot perhaps) since I think that a lot of people would be interested to see it.

Rog

You have an affective LPG map? Brilliant! :D

When you post it - could I request that you also do it in a format that non MegaSquirt/MegaJolt people can read (even a screenshot perhaps) since I think that a lot of people would be interested to see it.

Rog

Rog

Vex piccie This works for my 3.9 very well. Im still fine tuning but its a lot better than +2 across the petrol map.

Jeff.

Stop press

Wideband o2 and megajolt on 3.9 Hotwire I checked this evening, under 14.7 on load about 16-17 light load.

I'll take a log in the week, but I'm mostly happy that on mine its not running lean when under load.

YMMV etc no warranty implied or given,

Read at your own risk. Ask your doctor or pharmacist. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Do not stamp. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. Contains non-milk fat. Date as postmark. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Use only in well-ventilated area. Price does not include taxes. Not for resale. Hand wash only. Keep away from sunlight. For a limited time only.

In reply to a PM, think it is relevant to a wider audience.

Hi,

I'm possibly interested in MJing my car, but would if I wanted t control the fuel and the spark, would I be best of MSing it, as opposed to MJing it (ie. as the MS will control the spark as well with the addition of edis 8?)

Also (que potentially stupid question) With the laser pickup on the tigger wheel, what happens when the vehicle is in deep mud? can this lead to problems with misfires an pick ups of the signal?

Thanks in advance,

If you were to go for fuel as well you need a megasquirt. The 2 projects are quite similar though. If you just want to make it waterproof the MJ is enough. you could just get the trigger wheel, VR sensor and an edis 8 and get it running with that to prove the concept, total cost about £50. Then you can make a decision about which way to go with the controller.

I have never been in thick enough mud to stop the VR sensor signal coming through, which is an inductive style pick up, Ie related to magnetism, rather than light. Maybe one of the guys running on Megasquirt has a view? Personally I think if the mud was that thick then your radiator would be clogged and you would have other problems....

And some of the MS'ed guys seem to be determined to run them as submarines anyway....

Laser pickup? :blink: The VR sensor is a magnet, so not affected by water/mud etc., about the only thing that will stop it is if it gets knocked off. Never heard of one failing off-road yet.

To be honest, when I first saw the toothed wheel I thought the same thing, that it was a photoelectric sensor. I'd heard of hall effect before but not variable reluctance, seems to be almost exclusively Auto industry.

The reason for putting the post up was to educate as to what it was and to debate it's suitability in muddy conditions.

Re mud in the trigger-wheel - I was more concerned about a stone getting lodged in there and taking out the VR sensor, so I filled the gaps with Sikaflex, sanded it back to flush and then painted it. I have used the Transit trigger-wheel which makes it a little easier to 'pot' it, but I think it would work with a normal trigger-wheel as well.

I'm not sure, but I think that the gaps could be filled with any non magnetic material - even a conducting one such as aluminium for example. However I think that it would not be possible to make a trigger-wheel out of aluminium with sawn-off bolts (for example) inserted into it, since the high-points of the wheel need to be magnetically connected at their base.

Roger

Do they? I'm not sure VR sensors care that much as long as something ferrous goes past followed by something non-ferrous (EG air) you should get a signal.

I stand corrected - yes you would get A signal, but..

Somewhere I can't find now I have seen a diagram illustrating the flux paths through the trigger wheel and (in a perfect setup) it showed something like this:

Diagram 1. Where the VR sensor is directly lined up with a tooth - the flux passes down the tooth, across the bottom and up the adjacent two side teeth returning to the magnet in the VR sensor through the edge/side giving maximum flux linkage through the sensing coil that surrounds the magnet.

Diagram 2. Where the VR sensor is directly lined up with a gap, little or no flux linkage occurs.

So - in a dramatic reversal of my earlier statement ;) , and in the light of further thought - I would agree that with magnetically isolated teeth you would get a signal, but I don't think it would be the best signal, so rather than say "not possible", I should have said "not advisable".

Apologies for the misinformation.

Roger