A bit of advice, EGT gauges

Ruuman

I've been fiddling with the pump and turbo on my 200tdi 90 and after reading many articles and fitting a boost gauge an EGT is next, only problem is money's tight and the gauges are not cheap until I saw this one.

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/c...-degc-144-p.asp

It's for a plane and for the price of a regular car single display I could get a funky duel display. Can anyone see any problems, I assume planes run 12v, if not thats probably the first issue :)

or does anyone know a source of cheap EGT gauges?

Thanks

Ruu

We suggest to anyone who mucks around with their fuelling in any way to fit an EGT gauge. I did back in about Y2K. Otherwise you can melt your pistons.

If you haven't seen anyone 'mention the need for and EGT' then you haven't been reading the right things. Womans Own is the wrong mag.

I have a single EGT gauge bought from the same company. Works a treat if a little slow, but does that really matter? You'll when to check for high EGT, so there is no need to keep an eye on the gauge all the time. Remember though that it has no backlight.

The highest EGT I have managed with my 200Tdi is 625 degrees C, up a hillside with a Sankey on tow and leaving my buddie's 300Tdi 110 behind. :P

And - highest possible marks for the seller's customer service. ;)

Yes, you need one if you're going to play with your fuelling (and not with replacing pistons etc). However, there's a world of difference between 600deg and 700deg and it might not be easily visible with that gauge.

You could fit a thermocouple and use a multimeter with a thermocouple option to view the temperature (I had one strapped to the wing for a while). Once you've set the fuelling and you're happy with a safety margin, you could take it off (and leave the thermocouple in place for future checks?)

Thanks guys, the gauge seems to go to 850-900 c so it's perfect for the application I want it for, I don't plan on going anywhere near the 720c limit, just want to make sure my engine is running safely and efficently.

No backlight will be a pain, but for the price I'm sure I could rig something up

Good idea with the multimeter/thermocouple turbocharger, unfortunatly my multimeters don't have that option :(

My gauge is actually a digital aircon controller so it has an output that switches on when a certain temp is reached and off if it falls below that. The temp is programmable and I have mine set at 725 deg C. Exceeding that sets off a flashing LED and a loud buzzer. A simple gauge would have been cheaper but I couldn't find one at the time. Nowadays EGT gauges are more common - and so are turbodiesels.

Question what car are they fitted to as standard? I go through a lot of scrap yards and this could be a cheaper option for me.

No car that I'm aware of. Certainly nothing you are likely to find in a scrapyard

Just not needed on a production car.

Sorry for the hi-jack...

What is the maximum EGT you should see on a 200TDi? (running a 300TDi turbo)

I am going to change the exhaust soon, does the diameter of the exhaust have an effect on usual/max EGT?

- what size exhaust would be best? I'm planning on only having a mid box, and a replacment pipe for it that I can use when not motorway driving!

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry for the hi-jack...

What is the maximum EGT you should see on a 200TDi? (running a 300TDi turbo)

I am going to change the exhaust soon, does the diameter of the exhaust have an effect on usual/max EGT?

- what size exhaust would be best? I'm planning on only having a mid box, and a replacment pipe for it that I can use when not motorway driving!

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Generally for most diesels 720 deg c is the limit before you start damaging valves, but of course this is very much dependant on where you measure the temperature as the further down the exhaust from the turbo the cooler the gasses are. So always take with a pinch of salt.

Theoretically a less restrictive exhaust will reduce temperatures, Ideally on a turbo engine you want as little restriction as possible so the diameter should match the manifold outlet size which is 2.5 or 3inches I believe. if your keeping the stock midbox then 2.5 for the rest of the system I'd say.

Incidentally my EGT gauge arrived, I had to get a square mount as they had run out of round. I was quite surprised it didn't need any power at all to work, but tested it on the cooker flame and it seems ok, sluggish to start moving but once it's going the temp rises and falls quickly. Hopefully I'll have a chance to fit it this weekend.

n605065082_4667793_5100.jpg

Oh yes, it sure works. But when driving along on the open road, the gauge doesn't show anything as the EGT is low. When hitting a hill or when accelerating hard, the needle starts moving. ;)

Also note that the sender is a M8x1,00 thread, not the everyday M8 we see on regular bolts.

Also note that the sender is a M8x1,00 thread, not the everyday M8 we see on regular bolts.

Thanks Lars, that's really helpful, I need to go buy a new tap I think. Do you have a pic where you fitted the thermocouple on the manifold?

I'm going to take the gauge apart as I think it will be really straight forward to install a backlight very cheap and easily. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Ruu

Hi Matt,

Generally for most diesels 720 deg c is the limit before you start damaging valves, but of course this is very much dependant on where you measure the temperature as the further down the exhaust from the turbo the cooler the gasses are. So always take with a pinch of salt.

Theoretically a less restrictive exhaust will reduce temperatures, Ideally on a turbo engine you want as little restriction as possible so the diameter should match the manifold outlet size which is 2.5 or 3inches I believe. if your keeping the stock midbox then 2.5 for the rest of the system I'd say.

Incidentally my EGT gauge arrived, I had to get a square mount as they had run out of round. I was quite surprised it didn't need any power at all to work, but tested it on the cooker flame and it seems ok, sluggish to start moving but once it's going the temp rises and falls quickly. Hopefully I'll have a chance to fit it this weekend.

n605065082_4667793_5100.jpg

had my 200tdi defender engine up over 600 degc frequently & it has been to 900 degc & beyond a few times with no ill affects as yet :ph34r:

• 6 years later...

If you install the thermocouple in the EGR plate in the exhaust manifold -- as I have because it's the easiest place -- remember that the reading will be about 40 - 50 degrees Centigrade higher than 75mm further down the exhaust where the turbo is. When installing the probe make sure that the tip is not in contact with the (opposite) internal surface as this is cooler than the actual gas.

I don't know about melting valves, being sodium filled and heat treated steel they should take well over 900 C but the piston crowns are alloy which has a far lower melting point. The critical component however is the driving (exhaust gas) vanes on the turbo, although these are made from titanium they will distort if they are at in excess of 780 C for a prolonged period of time, generally quoted at 15 minutes.

My EGT digital gauge has never gone above 715 C. I haven't altered the fuel pressure from it's original settings (reconditioned Bosche FIP in 2012) or increased the turbo pressure, driving up hills at full bore the turbo pressure is normally between 12 - 15psi and the temperature sits on about 685 C, ergo the actual EGT at the turbo vanes will be about 630 C which is fine.