chassis rust proofing?

oggie27_3

recently purchased a 99 disco td5, with 124000 miles on it!

does any one know of a good rust proofing place that can do the chassis in the wiltshire area? i live in tidworth (near salisbury).

i want to try to prevent the dreaded rust before it starts. would do it my self but due to the lack of facillities (no garage) and i dont think the neighbours would like me doing it in the car park!!

cheers

You can do it in the car park, just buy a disposable polythene dust sheet from somewhere like b&q, spread it on the floor and hold the corners down with something heavy and drive on to it, when you finish just wrap it up and bin it...

Mike

And how is your undersealing going by the way :ph34r: .

Pete.

cheers for the input guys. will probably wait until i start work on the 25th (have 3 weeks off!!) then i will have access to a good old military workshop with pit/ramp so will do it then. been looking at the POR stuff,anyone used it?

In between bouts of horrible nausea and dizziness from the lack of ventilation its just about finished!

Mike

Hello,

I recently had my 2004 TD5 chassis waxoyled at a local garage. They have done a good job of it. It's not something that they advertsied but I discussed it with them and they were happy to give it a go. We are happy with the end results and hopefully it will keep any rust at ay for a good few more years.

Heres a quick photo:

post-12723-1226275283_thumb.jpg

It's worth mentioning that most chassis corrosion starts from the inside and works it's way out, so just coating the outside of the chassis does little to help.

Les.

That's a good point. Mine has been done on the inside also and as waxoyl actually treats corrosion, as well as preventing it, any that might have started should be nipped in the bud so to speak. I do think it's worth chatting with your local garage and discussing your needs, you might be surprised at how cheaply they will do it...