OT: Save the Radio 4 Theme!

SiWhite

Right, the new controller of Radio 4 wants to scrap the 'UK Theme' - a wonderful bit of music incorporating timless pieces from around the UK, which is played everyday at the start of Radio 4 programmes.

Not many people are awake at 0530hrs when the theme is played, but take it from one who frequently is - this is a wonderful piece of music which NEEDS to be saved, preserved, wrapped in cotton wool and moly-coddled! The music is Here in it's Wonderous Glory. Imagine listening to that (as I do at the end of a night shift) - I'm sure you'll agree that it's splendid!

This chap's trying to replace it with some racy news briefing, which I find abhorrent.

As a very regular Radio 4 fan, I'm begging that you guys help by taking a moment to sign the petition and help save something that I've loved for years, andd hope to be able to do so for many more. This campaign is gathering National interest, with extensive media coverage and an MP planning to field an Early Day Motion in order to try and save the Theme.

The petition is Here It only takes a moment - Please help!

Done. I am not up at 530 much these days but I can see no reason for change for the sake of change. They changed the theme to The Archers too and had to make compromises on that IIRC. How about a petition for a "Men's hour" too? :)

Chris

When you listen you can guess where he/she is coming from.

It all sounds a bit too 'British' to be politicaly acceptable in a modern multi-cultural society like ours. Probably the pressure is coming from those who want something a bit more 'neutral'.

Not saying this correct but I am guessing that this the reason behind it.

Too British? This is Britain for heavens sake. You don't see the other members of out "multi-cultural" society trying to hide their national identitys and ways of life, why should we, the indiginous population? Stand up and be proud to be British. I will stop now before I start sounding like an advert for NF. :)

Chris

PS. I appreciate what you are saying though MJG.

first shipping forcast of the day,

I could never see the point in the shipping forecast, I mean are there lots of blind small boat owners? Can't you guys see that massive great steel things charging towards you through the waves? I mean, they ain't exactly small and unobtrusive are they? You have a heck of a job getting one in the bath with you wouldn't you? It would certainly put a dent in 'Mr Dinkly Winkly' at any rate!

What does the shipping forecast actually say?

[music] der da da der der la la laaaaaaa der da der der[/music]

"good morning and wecome to radio 4 and here is the shipping forecast - watch out for those massive iron things charging around in the channel today, they will run you over if you don't spot them"

Les :D

Sorry Si.

Aaarrrggh! Get rid of that bl**dy music!

Several days a week I my alarm goes off before 5.30 and my radio is set to radio4. The reason it is set to radio4 and not to radio1 is that the first music I hear when I am waking up gets stuck in my head for the rest of the day! By using radio4 there isn't any music (just politicians arguing) thus solving the 'first song of the day' problem. If I don't turn my radio off before the 'uk theme' comes on, it gets lodged in my head, and it's not even good! It's fragments of other vastly over rated bits of music!

I am all in favor of getting rid of it!

Mark :ph34r:

I could never see the point in the shipping forecast, I mean are there lots of blind small boat owners? Can't you guys see that massive great steel things charging towards you through the waves? I mean, they ain't exactly small and unobtrusive are they? You have a heck of a job getting one in the bath with you wouldn't you? It would certainly put a dent in 'Mr Dinkly Winkly' at any rate!

What does the shipping forecast actually say?

[music] der da da der der la la laaaaaaa der da der der[/music]

"good morning and wecome to radio 4 and here is the shipping forecast - watch out for those massive iron things charging around in the channel today, they will run you over if you don't spot them"

Les :D

Sorry Si.

Ermm :unsure:<_<

Its not about ship movements Les :blink:

Its about the weather and sea conditions ;)

Dave

exmoor beast............... thank goodness im not the only one :lol: i also have the world service on all night.

its nice to wake up at anytime and have someone talking to you......... makes you feel not alone when you wake up and have K snoring next to you.