Fuel Problem!

Jason2

Hi chaps

The 110 (2.1/4 petrol) has just developed an intermittant fuel starvation problem, runs like a sack of spuds,like there is a piece of carp intermittantly blocking one of the jets.

There is a fuel pump with a filter next to the fuel tank, which I have cleaned a few times, each time it has carp in it but not enough to block it.

I'm going to drain the fuel tank, put an extra fuel filter in just before the carb (weber) that I'm also going to strip and clean (already have a renovation kit).

Urgent as I have an off road outing coming up next Friday night 21st Nov and would like to avoid looking like a tw*t at 2am in the 50cm of mud in the middle of a forest :o

Anything to watch out for when stripping the weber carb? any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Stripped/overhauled carb, cleaned filter,put another filter in just before the carb. Started first time ran like a "good un" set off on the school trip, charging light came on after about 3 miles, u-turn, back home.

Alternators knacked, nicked one off my 2.25 diesel, started,warning light went off, stalled, wont start or trys to start but wont rev/run & the sun went down!

B*llox!

Spent half the morning on her-NO joy! So off in the Disco tomorrow night!

Recap: Very occasional fuel starvation not enough to stop her but enough to be a pain, always been a first time starter, never let me down.Overhauled the carb, stared first time sweat as, set off to pick kids up from school when the warning light came on for the alternator.Used it a few times since started no problem & ran well.Changed alternator with one off a 2.25 diesel, started then stalled,would'nt start so I put it down to being out of petrol.Went to get some petrol and it's never ran since.Turns over, fires with no back fireing but just wont start.

Fuel pumps working OK,fuel's getting to the carb.

The only things I've done is clean carb with a overhaul kit, put a new nut on to manifold as one was missing out of the four, tighten exhaust up onto manifold as it was loose & blowing and change alterrnator-Am I going MAD?

Cheers

Jason

I reckon it's got to be witchcraft :o

Carb in bit's again, new plugs, points, checked valves not sticking/re-set, fuel is getting through, there is a spark but she wont have it, fires,want's to run but won't :angry:

Checked every thing, re-checked & checked again, all O.K!

No 1 spark plug is sooty 2,3,4 are definitely at lot less! come to the conclusion that the valves are snuffed and lost compression.

When I bought the old girl she was gutless and after a compression test showed low compression especially on pots 2,3,4 which I put down to lack of clearance on the tappets and once re-set sorted the problem and has always gone like a good un since.

Will try and borrow a compression tester tomorrow but am nearly sure now that the head needs a re-con!

I had those symptoms with my 2 1/4 in a Ninety, nearly drove me mad. It always seemed like fuel starvation as in it would cut out or misfire under load on a steep hill or pulling away from lights too quickly. Gazzar asked in a previous post if the anti run on device was getting power ? A lot of people refer to the idle fuel cut off solenoid on the side of the carb as the anti run on device but he may have meant the solenoid on the bulkhead which is an anti run on device.It is Tee`d into the brake servo vacuum hose,i removed mine and the tee piece after i found the solenoid sticking open slightly.

I had those symptoms with my 2 1/4 in a Ninety, nearly drove me mad. It always seemed like fuel starvation as in it would cut out or misfire under load on a steep hill or pulling away from lights too quickly. Gazzar asked in a previous post if the anti run on device was getting power ? A lot of people refer to the idle fuel cut off solenoid on the side of the carb as the anti run on device but he may have meant the solenoid on the bulkhead which is an anti run on device.It is Tee`d into the brake servo vacuum hose,i removed mine and the tee piece after i found the solenoid sticking open slightly.

There is no T in the servo vac pipe or solonoid on the bulk head.There are 2 solonoids on the carb one for the anti-run on and the other the top of the carb I think is for air to/from the float chamber.

I could'nt even get the bl**dy thing to run today with "Easy Start" will fire but not start!

Thanks for your replies all the same ;)

There is no T in the servo vac pipe or solonoid on the bulk head.There are 2 solonoids on the carb one for the anti-run on and the other the top of the carb I think is for air to/from the float chamber.

I could'nt even get the bl**dy thing to run today with "Easy Start" will fire but not start!

Thanks for your replies all the same ;)

It won`t be that then........Maybe a warped carb base? quite common and worth checking if your compression test works out ok.

I once had a problem that looked like a blocked filter, it would run on tickover, and rev but would not run properly under load. It turned out to be a loose union on the tank, allowing a mixture of air and fuel to be pumped into the carb. Maybe?

I once had a problem that looked like a blocked filter, it would run on tickover, and rev but would not run properly under load. It turned out to be a loose union on the tank, allowing a mixture of air and fuel to be pumped into the carb. Maybe?

I have put a clear piece of fuel pipe in between the carb & the fuel evaporater thingy on the bulk head, there is a few air bubbles coming through & then when the ignition is turned off return back from the carb up to evaporater.

Remember I can't even get her to start :(

Hopefully will have a compression tester tomorrow.

Just done a compression test:

cyl 1=9.8 bar

cyl 2=10 bar

cyl 3=9.6 bar

cyl 4=8.6 bar

Then did the same test after squirting a bit of oil in each pot.

cyl 1=10.2 bar

cyl 2=10.5 bar

cyl 3=10.7 bar

cyl 4=9.2 bar

Ignition Coil may be well worth a try. I have had them in the past where you get a spark when testing at one plug, but as soon as the engine starts to fire the spark fails.

Might be worth a try at least.

Cheers! But I have already tried a different coil.

Waiting for a new condensor from the U.K at the mo!

• 2 weeks later...