Gearbox oil ?

nokiamutt

Ive been looking to change the oil in my geearbox (200tdi discovery ) i looked in the h&%$£s book of lies and it says to use equivalent dextron IID atf fluid ? is this correct as ive never done the gearbox fliuds before .

I have had a look in the search feature but not turned up much info of use .

Hi guys,

I'd like to pick up on Nokiamutt's point as I have a 300tdi Disco and the Gearbox oil is the only one that I've not done yet this year because it's so blasted difficult to get to do when on axle stands and a 1 litre bottle with tube.

I've seen Dexron and Dextron (not sure which is right name for standard) but Les has mentioned Dextron III when the original question was for Dextron II - Is there a difference for our application?

Also, last year, I asked a local garage to drain change it completely (as I'd heard it should be done every 12,000 miles and they have a scissor lift!) and I've only just noticed that they have used something that is straw coloured where as the ATF Dextron II (H****s Manual) that I've always used is RED.

Would this be something better (like synthetic) or (more likely) that they've just bunged in some bulk buy do it all stuff?

Good topic.

Paul.

Hi guys,

I'd like to pick up on Nokiamutt's point as I have a 300tdi Disco and the Gearbox oil is the only one that I've not done yet this year because it's so blasted difficult to get to do when on axle stands and a 1 litre bottle with tube.

I've seen Dexron and Dextron (not sure which is right name for standard) but Les has mentioned Dextron III when the original question was for Dextron II - Is there a difference for our application?

Also, last year, I asked a local garage to drain change it completely (as I'd heard it should be done every 12,000 miles and they have a scissor lift!) and I've only just noticed that they have used something that is straw coloured where as the ATF Dextron II (H****s Manual) that I've always used is RED.

Would this be something better (like synthetic) or (more likely) that they've just bunged in some bulk buy do it all stuff?

Good topic.

Paul.

no idea what the orange stuff is as dextron 2 and 3 are both definatly red also the gearbox has an oil pump and filter in it if the wrong stuff is used it will knack up the oil pump. ;)

Interesting info....

I'm gonna get the straw stuff out then and finish up the ATF Dexron II that I have left and then look out for some synthetic Dexron III then.

Thanks for my part.

Hope Nokiamutt is sorted now.

Oh......... why do we put Automatic transmission fluid in our manual boxes??

Interesting info....

I'm gonna get the straw stuff out then and finish up the ATF Dexron II that I have left and then look out for some synthetic Dexron III then.

Thanks for my part.

Hope Nokiamutt is sorted now.

Oh......... why do we put Automatic transmission fluid in our manual boxes??

MTF94 IS THE CORRECT STUFF. . . . BUT £7.50 PER LITRE.

IF ON A BUDGET USE DEXTRON 111.

Do not use ATF fluid. It will keep you moving, but breaks down very quickly. If you do 300 miles in one journey, expect your gearbox to sing a different note by the time you get home. . . .

. . . . . like mine did.

Filthy

Difflock sell some quite advanced oil designed for land rovers. im gonna try it soon, i've heard very good recommendations of it. i dont want atf in mine anymore, from what i here it wears the synchros out quicker than proper mtf,

edit. also just noted that they quote dexronIII is for auto boxes, does not quote any use for manuals

edit

quote from difflock

"If you are still using ATF in your LT77, R380 or other 5 speed manual box then you should think again because it is NO LONGER recommended for such boxes. In manual transmissions, ATF is poor at preventing wear, shears down under the action of the gears and thickens as temperatures drop. This leads to shorter gearbox life and poor, notchy gearchanges, especially 2nd Gear on cold mornings"

Thanks "Filthy"!!

MTF 94 it is then - maybe that's the straw coloured stuff the last garage used after all?

Because you mentioned the MTF 94 I found the followingg on a US forum dated 2006 and it sums up my notchy 2nd!

"" Re: Synthetic oils

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 3:03pm » Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi

Just a note on why the R380 use MTF94. The R380 use a 3 piece synco assy with carbon type coating. Land Rover when they designed the box they asked texaco (caltex) to make an oil for the R380, hence you shouldn't use any other oil then MTF94. Because Land Rover's are such a small market worldwide no other oil manufacture will make it, so they list oils such as Dex III because its a close as they can get.

Now we have pulled apart many R380, the ones using MTF94 the whole time usally only need bearing ect. The ones using other oils such as Dex III need the syncro replaced. Now with each syncro cone costing about $140 retail and with 3 cones on 1st 2nd & 3rd and one each on 4th and 5th thats a big chunck of a rebuild cost, by not using oil the manufacture recommends. Thats not including damage done to the syncro hub itself.

Now for the problem of notchy 2nd....people reading this please dont take offence, but it's usally the driver at fault. I have many customers come in complaining about 2nd gear, we drive it and have no problem's selecting 2nd, just take your time in selecting correctly and it should go in smoothly, however if the box is showing signs of wear it will show in 2nd before any other gears. ""

MTF94 was also used by Honda (who were close to Rover at the time) and Hyundai. The idea of LR specifying a gearbox oil makes me laugh, they have never known quite what oil to use in any of their gearboxes, specifying engine oil sometimes and then the dreaded ATF Dexron II which only advantage is that it is thin. Notably MTF94 was the specified oil for the Floader gearbox, then LR thought it was a good idea for the R380 and the LT77.

I have used MTF94 for a long time, until my 20l drum ran out. Now I use Redline MTL, more expensive but being a cat 5 synthetic does not change viscosity with temperature or age. Interestingly it has a higher coefficient of friction compared to other oils, this lets the synchros work better. For good synchro action you don't want a slippery oil, so it seems. Although the synthetic oil is more expensive, Redline reckon I can leave it in without changing for as long as it is not contaminated with steel particles or water or whatever.