Can I confirm this is the Panhard rod please?

My big green bus failed its first MOT today on quite a few items, all minor thankfully, but I think the £53 was money very well spent as I had an hour of mechanics time with me under the car going over everything.

The good news is he said the chassis was in excellent condition, and superb for its age so that pleased me. :)

Now the bad news, it failed on a perished bush and the two front brake hoses were squashed as well as Brake pedal spongy.

I know this is a newbie question, but can I confirm that the item marked in yellow in the image is the panhard rod?

post-4939-1228770106_thumb.png

and I should order part No:NRC9728 (as my VIN is SALLDHMD7FA****** as per this diagram:

post-4939-1228770405_thumb.png

thanks.

I only remember because I swapped the bushes in my panhard rod a few months ago & had to buy a 24mm combination spanner to do the job.

I can't remember what size spanner I used to undo the oil cooler pipes and unions on Friday, let alone a couple of months ago. :huh:

I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

Will I have to burn/hack/slash the old bushes out (they are OEM not poly) and will I be spending hours wrestling the new ones in or is this an easy job?

Where would you guys have ordered these from? I am collecting mine from Dunsfold on Saturday morning but none of the normal online parts companies I purchase from seemed to stock them.

Brake lines: OEM or braided? is there a big difference?

thanks.

Without being funny in any way, for someone just starting to get into car maintenance, as you are, then I'd strongly recommend OEM rubber.

The reason is that if at any time you are faulting the brake circuit, especially looking for spongy brakes, it's incredibly useful to be able to clamp the rubber pipes (with the correct tool) and eliminate the associated caliper from the circuit. If the spongy pedal immediately becomes firm (it will also develop a short travel), then the air is in that caliper you have just clamped off.

Clamping off ALL the rubber pipes, and the pedal is still spongy, means the fault is in the master cylinder.

Braided pipes have a braided stainless steel outer. If you ever do manage to clamp them they won't recover, so are scrap.

For someone who feels they have the knowledge and experience to fault a brake system without the possibility of clamping off the hoses, then braided hoses give a slight performance advantage, under heavy braking (assuming the tyres and tarmac give enough grip). They also resist physical damage due to stones and sticks.

In your situation, running your car, I wouldn't bother. I don't on my current road car, although I have in previous cars that I've driven with more vigour.

HTH

Braided pipes have a braided stainless steel outer. If you ever do manage to clamp them they won't recover, so are scrap.

And that is exactly what the previous owner had done, and both hoses are squashed.

OEM it is then.

thanks.

I can't remember what size spanner I used to undo the oil cooler pipes and unions on Friday, let alone a couple of months ago. :huh:

:rofl::rolleyes:

Will I have to burn/hack/slash the old bushes out (they are OEM not poly) and will I be spending hours wrestling the new ones in or is this an easy job?

I just used my number 1 LR tool [big hammer] to knock the bushes out of mine

Where would you guys have ordered these from? I am collecting mine from Dunsfold on Saturday morning but none of the normal online parts companies I purchase from seemed to stock them.

got mine from my local LR parts man, but Dunsfold are 100%

longer & braided, gives a much better pedal feel. IMHO :i-m_so_happy:

knock the old bushes out with a sledge or similar and squeeze new ones in in a vice - will work if your lucky if not try and find a friendly man with a press. if your fitting poly or similar then a home fit.

ditto above go with std pipes on a road vehicle for brakes.

Today was the 1st day I have hated my One Ten. :(

Three hours in the lashing rain trying to get the panhard rod bolts undone, soaked to the skin, cold and miffed.

The left hand one was a 10 minute job, and bouyed with enthusiasm I tackled the right hand one connected to the radius arm.

The metal inner sleeve and the bolt had siezed solid so I couldn't pull the bolt out. I heated, bashed and swore at it but nothing happened. Ended up having to cut through the bolt with a hacksaw on either side of the rod so I could lift it out.

Hopefully it will be a little drier tomorrow when I put it back together and swap the brake hoses out.

Three hours in the lashing rain trying to get the panhard rod bolts undone, soaked to the skin, cold and miffed.

The left hand one was a 10 minute job, and bouyed with enthusiasm I tackled the right hand one connected to the radius arm.

The metal inner sleeve and the bolt had siezed solid so I couldn't pull the bolt out. I heated, bashed and swore at it but nothing happened. Ended up having to cut through the bolt with a hacksaw on either side of the rod so I could lift it out.

Hopefully it will be a little drier tomorrow when I put it back together and swap the brake hoses out.

Been there, done that!! All 4 front radius arms did the same thing with me :angry: ! Lots of copper slip so i never have to do it again!!! :blink::blink:

Welcome to the wonders of bush replacement :)

Mo

The story continued today.

While drifting the new bush into place by applying pressure on the rubber part rather than the inner sleeve, I managed to flare the outer sleeve out so that it wouldn't fit. Had to remove that one and will buy a new one tomorrow. For my sanity, I will drop the rod and bushes off at my local garage and ask them to press them in.

grrr.

the pressure needs to be on the outside tube, if on the inside tube it may rip out of the rubber bush, a fly press is the best way if possible.

Ah. I had a niggling thought in the back of my head that I was doing it wrong. Oh well. Rod dropped of at garage for them to push the bushes in.

Came across a problem with the brake hoses. Went to fit the new ones and they look nothing like the existing ones. Mine are braided and have female ends at both ends. The standard LR hoses are male at both ends. Gawd knows what set up I have.

I now have the problem of trying to get the correct hose ordered and then collected and the car dropped off on Wednesday so I can get the free MOT retest, or I just drop it off at the garage and get them to order and fit the new hoses.

I feel the latter option is the easiest, although I am loathed to take it to the garage to have it's hoses replaced and brakes bled as it is such an easy and quick job, but I just can't see me getting the parts in time to get the free restest.

sigh.

Came across a problem with the brake hoses. Went to fit the new ones and they look nothing like the existing ones. Mine are braided and have female ends at both ends. The standard LR hoses are male at both ends. Gawd knows what set up I have.

I now have the problem of trying to get the correct hose ordered and then collected and the car dropped off on Wednesday so I can get the free MOT retest, or I just drop it off at the garage and get them to order and fit the new hoses.

I feel the latter option is the easiest, although I am loathed to take it to the garage to have it's hoses replaced and brakes bled as it is such an easy and quick job, but I just can't see me getting the parts in time to get the free restest.

sigh.

It's possible that whoever fitted the braided hoses fitted either new hard pipes, or remade the ends on the existing hard pipes, to suit the braided hoses.

I don't know what alternatives were fitted by the factory, so can't say what is 'right' or 'wrong'.

A picture or two might help others provide solutions or part numbers to fit what exists.

That is pictures of the hard pipe end fitting, with the existing braided pipes, and the 'incorrect' OEM flexible pipes, together with the part number.

I appreciate it's frustrating having to give it back to the garage in the hope they will have parts that fit on the shelf.

In the summer it's easier to work into the night to fit parts obtained during the day, but in the winter ...

HTH.