Sat Nav's And Green Lanes.

Chaos

Hi Peeps,

Is there a Sat Nav system or a set of maps (I don't Mean Ordanace Survey Type But Electonic) that includes Green Lanes,

My Tom Tom GB maps don't include them just wondered if they are catered for......

Yes of coyurse try memory map it is superb! it uses OS maps and you can plot overlays on your pc or pda and share routes etc with friends!

I use memory map all the time when greenlaning. I use a PDA with bluetooth GPS. It records all the routes which I can then transfer to my desktop PC and save them. Like someone has mentioned, you can also share them or transfer them to a paper map.

You can also print sections of the maps and build yourself a portfolio. An all-round great bit of kit.

If you want a sat nav type device then Road angel do one that has OS maps, called the Adventurer i think.

Personally i use a 2nd hand lap top, Fugawi map software and a garmin etrex gps as an aerial.

Depends on how big you want it all to be and what you want to spend.

Sorry bit of novice when it comes to GPS and mapping software. Wonder if you could help.

Was looking at getting a garmin gps for walking etc. Am I right in thinking this will link up to my laptop with the correct software. I'd like to use O.S. type maps if possible. Any idea how much the software would be? I presume the gps links up via a usb type cable?

Sorry bit of novice when it comes to GPS and mapping software. Wonder if you could help.

Was looking at getting a garmin gps for walking etc. Am I right in thinking this will link up to my laptop with the correct software. I'd like to use O.S. type maps if possible. Any idea how much the software would be? I presume the gps links up via a usb type cable?

Memory Map can be found here

Your Garmin gps will link up to a laptop via the usb or, if you find the wires a hassle, you can use a bluetooth gps unit (about £20 on Ebay). Both will work with MM. Fugawi and Anquet are other software suppliers.

Yes, most of the hand held GPS will link to a laptop, some require a serial port (like my etrex) but you can buy a usb to serial converter cheap enough if you need it, maplins or ebay.

Once linked up the gps will act as the aerial for whatever map software you choose, and run it in vehicle, then depending on what spec GPS you have you can transfer all sorts of data.

My Fugawi covers uk with OS but the package i have is whole world mapping, quite spendy.

Memory Map is good for the uk, Depends how much you want and at what scale for prices. They have a web site.

If it's a Garmin handheld you want, check the web site, has all the specs and compatibility for each model and lists the link cables. When you've decided what you need..head for ebay.

Memory Map is good for the uk, Depends how much you want and at what scale for prices. They have a web site.

MemoryMap works just as well abroad. I used it in the USA this summer and there are maps of Europe - and probably elsewhere. The maps are expensive but is possible to scan your own maps and use those (although it is a right faff). Some small scale maps and elevation data can be legitimately downloaded for free.

If you have a collection of routes recorded from GPS (greenlanes, dirt tracks, etc), they can be uploaded to the free, community mapping site: http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Map detail is building up, no copyright restrictions or licensing issues with these maps. Can be used on mobile phones e.g. http://mom.poco.org.uk/index.html

Some of the software is a bit geeky for now but this will improve with time.

I have a carpc with touchscreen and usb gpsmouse that runs XP with Ozi.

Calibrated maps for Ozi can be found with emule for UK and most of Europe in scale 1:25.000.

For Africa there are lots of older but good Russian maps available.

After some months searching I have about 150Gb of maps