LT77 / LT230 gearbox mounting brackets?

CJRH

Cheers for the reply’s, I've got hold of classic range rover ones that bolt through the chassis rails, it’s the brackets that go onto the transfer box one side and the gearbox the other side that I'm not sure about. I have got a set off I think range rover, the offside bracket is a flat square plate, bolt hole in each corner and a central hole for the rubber, the nearside one is a lot bigger and harder to describe! I tried to offer them up this evening but I can't see how they are going to work.

Cheers

Chris

I’ve got the 200tdi engine, LT77 gearbox and LT230 transfer box lined up in the chassis. What brackets have people used for the gearbox? Pictures would be a great help as well.

Chris

Which engine mounts are you using? Series, Defender, Discovery??

Yes it does make a difference!!

Cheers

The photo by FridgeFreezer shows the crossmember under the flywheel housing has been removed (I'd imagine to clear the front prop.). The way that the Series gearbox crossmember attaches to the chassis does little to enhance the stuctural strength of that area. The more beefy RRC/Defender gearbox crossmember would help put some strength back while maintaining clearance for the front prop, potentially avoiding exhaust routing issues and being easily removed for gearbox/clutch repairs.

Ok, the engine is using the series engine mounts and series diesel rubbers. Pictures below show engine mounts, how the engine and gearbox currently sit in the chassis, I'm having trouble squaring it up at the moment, and the gearbox mounts that I have got hold of.

Gearbox002.jpg

Gearbox003.jpg

Gearbox004.jpg

Gearbox006.jpg

Gearbox007.jpg

Gearbox008.jpg

Gearbox009.jpg

Gearbox010.jpg

Gearbox012.jpg

Gearbox013.jpg

Gearbox014.jpg

Gearbox015.jpg

Gearbox016.jpg

Gearbox017.jpg

Gearbox018.jpg

New front cross member

Gearbox005.jpg

I chopped the series gearbox crossmember out aswell.

I bolted the gearbox mounts to the box, and used a trolley jack to raise the rear end until the rear propshaft flange was vertical, and marked the holes for the mounts on the chassis rails, removed the box again and drilled and welded in tubes.

IIRC I had to chop the bottom off of one of the mounts and re-drill the lowest holes further up as it hang below the chassis rail on my 88".

Jon

John, the gearbox cross member, not wanting to sound stupid, but just to confirm, that’s the one that the original series gearbox bolted to?! Did you replace it with a bolt in gearbox cross member, if so is there a measurement of where the bolt in cross member should go?

Thanks, Chris

Some more help required! The 1st photo is a spirit level on top of the engine, the 2nd photo is on the chassis showing that the engine is parallel to the chassis. I have attached the nearside gearbox mount but as you can see it is sitting below the chassis, so, have I put the engine mounts on correctly? Is the engine sitting too low? Or, is it simply that the gearbox mount that I have got hold of is the wrong type?

Chris :huh:

Gearbox019.jpg

Gearbox020.jpg

Gearbox021.jpg

Gearbox022.jpg