Carling switches

I've bought some carling switches for roof lights and other accessories, I'd like to mount the switches in the lower dash next to the steering column on the left, inbetween it and the cd player/clock/rear wipe controls. Looking at the securing clips on the rear of the switches, it looks like the dash is too thick for them to clip into. I was wondering where other people have mounted them (without using a mud pod) and if the dash thickness was an issue.

Also where should I look to wire it in to the dash light circuit? I'm not overly happy to start chopping up wiring so might leave this to someone who knows what they're doing.

If i understand correctly you want to fit them where there is the oval panel which has screw to remove it?

If so there is some 1.5mm ish metal behind there which will need trimming.

Instead of chopping about the loop i bought a bluesea waterproof fuse box and took new feeds direct from battery.

I want to place them in the dash section between that oval and the steering column, approximately half an inch to the left if you draw an imaginary line from the centre of the vent flap handle. In behind that section there is a plastic panel that might be able to clip onto, so I'd like to see if anyone's tried something similar.

I used to have a Mud Dash, which I sold to someone on here as I never got around to doing that particular job.

I since bought a Croytec Pod for 3 gauges which sits where the ashtray is.

I ended up only needing to mount 3 switches (rather than the 6 that the Mud Dash would have held) and these I mounted in a plate (also from Mudstuff) that sits where the ciggy lighter & rear wiper go.

It is a metal plate that comes pre-drilled with the hole for your rear wiper & fag lighter & 3 switch mounts.

I opened up the fag lighter hole a bit, and mounted a marine grade 12v socket in its place.

It all looks really neat & tidy, especially since I added neat printed labels for each switch.

As for the wiring, I believe electricity is Dark Arts, and left all that to my garage!

I want to place them in the dash section between that oval and the steering column, approximately half an inch to the left if you draw an imaginary line from the centre of the vent flap handle. In behind that section there is a plastic panel that might be able to clip onto, so I'd like to see if anyone's tried something similar.

similar place to these Britax SWF switches on my 110. hth :D

Also where should I look to wire it in to the dash light circuit

connect into the existing red/white wires behind the existing gauges or from the sidelight fuse power out side on the back of the fusebox.

post-20-1229454976_thumb.jpg

post-20-1229455007_thumb.jpg

Yeah that's almost exactly where I am planning on putting them. I think the carling ones with the surrounds are slightly larger. I suppose all I can do is cut the hole required and then see if they are securely held or not, I can always glue them once I'm sure which switches are going there, not sure if third should be for winch - which I don't have yet or work lamp which I do.