Landrover Electrical Theory

filthy

I recently finished a QA position for Ford & was in touch with the Landrover people occasionally. . . . . . .

I heard their theory on electrics.

Electrics on Landrovers is NOT about all the fancy circuitry or wiring continuity etc. . . . .

It's all about the containment of the smoke !

The theory goes that -

If fuses blow or wiring smokes due to overloaded currents - forget all the Amps x Volts = Watts equations. . . . . . this is all carp. . . .

It's simply the smoke leaking out of the wires.

Too much smoke means: thicker wire or thicker insulation is needed to keep the smoke in.

So, if the wiring catches fire or smokes, simply fit thicker wire.

The above seems to be a worshiped belief at Solihull, so if your vehicles wiring is sh*te, then it was fitted by a none believer.

I now understand that my physics degree was actually witchcraft.

Ponder on this one while you enjoy Christmas.

Cheers to all

Filthy

Does the Lucas kit work on DVD recorders? The smoke came out of my friends the other week and this could have saved the expense of a new one. :lol:

Smoke replacement.

Re: re-smoking / smoke refil in DVD recorders . . . .

As long as the DVD recorder was made at Solihull, the smoke can be forced back into the wires with the adapter kit supplied with the canisters of smoke.

There are 2 grades of smoke . . . .

Grey, for thick wire & Green, for thin wires.

If in doubt which wire you have, simply fit thicker wire to ensure the smoke is contained.

If your wiring actually smoked, then caught fire, you'd be wise to do a double smoke refil, as more smoke would have escaped.

Warning, Cheap replacement smoke can be imported from China or Taiwan, but usually leaks out soon again, with a more acrid smell than the genuine Lucas smoke.

Filthy

The solution to any "smoking wire" and potential car fire is to replace all wiring with heavy duty battery cable. The wiring looms will be very thick and probably have to be routed over the outside of the vehicle body and be rather unsightly. But, you will NEVER have an electrical fire.

Trust me, I am a firefighter and I have never been to a car fire where the car is modified as described above. ;-)

You can also refill your loom with this: Genuine Lucas replacement smoke kit - I keep a couple in stock just in case :P

That link made my day! And I still reckon the Lucas stuff used on British motor bikes was even worse than the car stuff...

BSA C15 'ignition' switches, for a good example.

ps. while talking of thicker wires, the Defender engine harness has thicker cable for the white diesel solenoid wiring. But if you look inside the multiplug the connections are all thin ones. (Don't ask how I know :( )