Frustration

Ibex94

Hi guys, am in process of fitting shiny black refurbished axle case ('99on 24 spline) using the front radius arms from my 1988 90 only to find some commedian has changed the width of the mounting points on the new axle to ~54mm when the original axle was ~47mm. :angry2:

So the question is did the L/R "cone heads" decide the original arms weren't man enough and thought they'd better add some more metal or has the bush design changed? What have the rest of you done when upgrading the front axle on your trucks?

Any help / advice gratefully received.

Ta

Rob

The radius arms changed first on the RRC in 1986 to the wide type and then the defenders in 1993. Discoverys always had the wide arms.

As far as I'm aware there were no strength issues with the narrow radius arms and they were just made wider to fit wider/stiffer bushes.

The later wider bushes will be stiffer IMHO. You will get better roll resistance with the wider bushes when cornering, but this will reduce the articluation the axle is capable of. Therefore pick the width of radius arm to suit your type of use. You could always stick a suitably sized washer either side of the thin bush to fit the wide axle casing??

Adrian

or do what I did and keep your old tube and use the new diff and hubs/swivel and shafts, you may need to knock out the 4 middle studs that hold the diff in and fit longer ons (the same length as all the other studs) as the later diff housings have thicker flanges at the 9 abd 3 o'clock edges

saves getting new arms

7mm difference so use the wider 54mm steel bush inserts and cut 2 x custom washers cut from 3mm plate with a hole in the middle to fit over the bush insert, these space the 47mm bush out to 53mm which is near enough for a rubber bush. Did the trick for me :)