110 engine upgrade

Hello,

One of my projects for 2009 is to fit the engine gearbox and any required bits from a Disco 200tdi with a good engine etc but very rusty body into my 110 hi cap. (B reg) 2.5n.a Can anyone give me an over view of the problems I will find I what i'am letting myself in for.

Steve

Steve, I have moved your topic into the defender forum, as you will likely get a better response than in the series forum. ;)

In answer to your actual question though, a good start would be Les's article in the tech archive of how to fit a disco 200 tdi into a 90. The only big difference to your project I would have thought would be a bit more pipe to get the exhaust to come out the back... :P

enjoy

Mark

have a read of this thread from our tech archive, a common conversion & carried out by quite a few members on here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

keep the 110's main & transfer gearboxes too, converting a discovery main box to fit a 90 or 110 isn't a easy or quick job as it invloves stripping the gearbox internal to fit 90/110 parts [gear change/selectors]

have a read of this thread from our tech archive, a common conversion & carried out by quite a few members on here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

keep the 110's main & transfer gearboxes too, converting a discovery main box to fit a 90 or 110 isn't a easy or quick job as it invloves stripping the gearbox internal to fit 90/110 parts [gear change/selectors]

Thanks for the reply, one of the reasons for doing the gearbox was that the mainshaft on the 110 is pretty bad so i was hoping to save some cash by using the disco box but i might just let it knock on if its going to hold the rest of the job up. Am i right in thinking the diffs are 3.5:1 on the 110, the same as the disco or would they be 4.7:1 on the 110 rear is a salisbury. The 110 would do about 60mph flat out down hill on the 2.5na so a higher gear would be nice.

Steve

The gear lever on a disco box is further back, so you would need to modify the tunnel/seatbox.

There are usually loads of cheap boxes for sale on ebay though if you dont want to go to the extra expense of getting your box reconditioned - but I got mine done locally for about £300 which seemed pretty fair.

The gear lever on a disco box is further back, so you would need to modify the tunnel/seatbox.

There are usually loads of cheap boxes for sale on ebay though if you dont want to go to the extra expense of getting your box reconditioned - but I got mine done locally for about £300 which seemed pretty fair.

Thanks for that. In one of the photos in the link above a different gearbox is used moving the engine forward. What gearbox was used.

Steve

Thanks for the reply, one of the reasons for doing the gearbox was that the mainshaft on the 110 is pretty bad so i was hoping to save some cash by using the disco box but i might just let it knock on if its going to hold the rest of the job up. Am i right in thinking the diffs are 3.5:1 on the 110, the same as the disco or would they be 4.7:1 on the 110 rear is a salisbury. The 110 would do about 60mph flat out down hill on the 2.5na so a higher gear would be nice.

Steve

all 90/110 use 3.54:1 diffs, the 4.7 was in the Stage 1 V8 IIRC.

the diff in your salisbury is 3.54,to change your gearing use a 1.4:1 transfer box from a defender,your present transfer box is a 1.6:1 which is sought after by people running big tyres,you should be able to do a straight swap with some one i,de have thought.

If you're buying a rusty disco for the engine it will have a 1.2 transfer box too, if you're after higher gearing you could use that.

i used a discovery transfere box in my 110 when we did the 200tdi conversion. you will not regrette doing the conversion. i have lots of pics from doing mine....its amazing what you can get away with to stay cheap. conqueror4x4 ( local firendly garage ) did the conversion for me with me helping where i could. the brief was ....cheap. and boy did they deleiver. everything that could be used from the discovery set up on the engine was used.....we scavanged a few bits from the TD set up too , but in the end i think we only had 2 buy 1 peice 0f pipe section for the main airfilter section. that was it. the rest came off the 2 engines....

i had to buy a few things like clutch kit etc but that wasnt strictly needed, just peace of mind.