LT230 center diff modification?

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I've just got myself a 4000mile old ex Td5 LT230 1.4:1 t/case... (for the princley sum of £200! bargain eh?! B) )

I'm planning to "do it up" ready for when i fit my autobox, so, judging by the new shiny condition it's in, "doing it up" will consist of buffing it with a WD40 soaked rag occasionally, the odd glass of wine, some flowers, an X-Eng disc handbrake and strengthening the center diff.

Is there a "bit" available that bolts into the diff to strengthen it? does Ashcrofts do it?

has anyone here done it, easy? difficult? :blink:

cheers! :D

Jamie, the mod is a solid cross shaft. IIRC Quaife, Ashcrofts and KAM sell them (mine's from Ashcroft). They don't make the centre diff indestructable (as I've found out) but they do make them stronger. Fitting's fairly easy; I do it by pulling the front output housing and then splitting the centre diff. Its an easy job on the bench and a bit of a swine under the vehicle. The only advice I can give you is replace ALL the seals on the t.box (I didn't as it didn't leak before it sat empty for 6 months) and replace the bearing on the front of the diff (much quicker to strip/reassemble and allows accurate torquing). Oh, the other thing is don't forget to allign the 2 halves of the diff correctly. I did that the other day and wondered for 5 minutes why it wasn't going together properly.... :unsure:

Guest diesel_jim

Cheers for that Will, i'll get onto ashcrofts and order one.

Don't think any bearings on mine will need doing as it's literally 4000miles old!

Will,

actually Quaife do a full centre diff, drool droll, see here :

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/page42.htm at £680+ vat

Very strong, know 2x racers who have yet to destroy them, so far my Quaife front shafts and falnges have held together, well chuffed with the Quality.

Ask Ripley how he got on with a certain 3 letter Co's Fuseable link shafts (that broke on the day)

Nige

Ask Ripley how he got on with a certain 3 letter Co's Fuseable link shafts (that broke on the day)

Yas, that was disapointing as it looks like such a neat idea and has perfomed well for him to date.

Will,

actually Quaife do a full centre diff, drool droll, see here :

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/page42.htm at £680+ vat

Very strong, know 2x racers who have yet to destroy them, so far my Quaife front shafts and falnges have held together, well chuffed with the Quality.

Nige

Ummmm, nice. I guess they just use better quality material for the gears as I doubt they'd be able to fit annother pair of spiders in there.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how are you braking them any way??? Surely you have the diff locked when off road, hence unless your not going to brake it??? Just curious, none of my friends, etc, have managed this one.... Please enlighten me.

Ta,

Adrian

Will,

Actually its me who runs the Kams not Graham (Ripley). The fusible link did what it should of done, i.e fused :P . The downside was it went to early and the broken shaft wouldnt come out the hub. You can buy the link with different depth cuts in them. Looks like I will have to try a shallower groove.

Ripley is running standard LR CVs and the one he broke he had been running on for ever and a day. Contary to popular belief its only the second CV he has broke. :o

Maybe I'm missing something, but how are you braking them any way??? Surely you have the diff locked when off road, hence unless your not going to brake it??? Just curious, none of my friends, etc, have managed this one.... Please enlighten me.

Ta,

Adrian

Not sure how mine let go as I ALWAYS run it locked off road. I think it may have got stuck in diff lock and gone bang on the way home due to wind up. Either that or the diff lock never went in and I broke it VERY quickly as the diff appeared locked. I'm 95% sure I did it in November when I was playing with the CVs for the first time. The diff then stayed locked and didn't casue any problems until is started banging and crunching.