Current consumption when off

My LR draws about 140 milliamps when everything is switched off. Presumably this is the clock as there is nothing else I can think of. I don't have anything non-standard (that I am aware of!).

Does this value sound ok or is it too high?

Thanks,

Tony

The vehicle doesn't get used much, maybe only once in two weeks, and it turned over very slowly this morning. In the end I had to put it on charge for a couple of hours to get it to start. It had a new Bosch battery in Feb 2007 so would have thought that was okay.

I guess it's just lack of use and the cold weather.

Does anybody know how far you need to travel to replace the power used to start it? the other problem is that when I do use it I may only go a total of 10 miles including a stop.

I have an isolator switch by the battery compartment, I think I'll try using that to se if it preserves that battery.

140 mA sounds ok.

Depending on the size of your battery that will give you 100 to 400 hrs before you get trouble with starting.

As I have some additional systems which permanently draw some power and my car is sometimes parked for up to two weeks I have fitted a solar panel and a charge controller to keep the battery topped up at all times. I have a 20 Wp panel and all together it was around €150 (the same in pound at current).

I have the same system on my boat and I'm very satisfied with them.

If you had a 95Ah battery it would run at 140mA for 678 hours. A 65 would last 464, a 45 would last 321. 168 hours in one week 336 in two so with a 95 Ah battery you should still be able to start after and week and in good weather after two. Obviously a lesser battery would suffer more but I've left some quite draining things on before and still started on my 95Ah Bosch.

What is your batterys CCA?

If you had a 95Ah battery it would run at 140mA for 678 hours. A 65 would last 464, a 45 would last 321. 168 hours in one week 336 in two so with a 95 Ah battery you should still be able to start after and week and in good weather after two. Obviously a lesser battery would suffer more but I've left some quite draining things on before and still started on my 95Ah Bosch.

What is your batterys CCA?

I've allowed for some potential to remain in the battery to operate the glow plugs and the starter motor. No point in having the battery empty.

Here's a picture of my solar panel:

post-12328-1231318216_thumb.jpg