Bulkhead repairs

Right, I think I've sourced some doors, now what I need is something solid to hang them from.

I've picked up some stainless corners and (expensive) mild pillars but I can't really tell from looking what's involved in fitting them. Do I need to remove the wings? Screen? Sills?

It looks like I'll probably need some new captive nuts and I'll probably fit stainless hinge bolts (Is eBay a good source for these?), is there anything else I'm likely to need? Once the doors come off nipping out for more parts will be a PITA.

Andy

The time it'll take depends on how far the corrosion extends. You can expect to have to clean back a fair way from the holes that you can see now in order to get back to decent metal that you can weld to.

To replace the door pillars you will have to remove the wings, which is not a 5-minute job in itself. If rust goes very close to the windscreen frame, then roof lifted and screen off. Inner plastic panels and wiring out of the way too (to prevent a fire).

A small rusty hole can become a nightmare once you've cleaned the area off.

post-2-1231668434_thumb.jpg

post-2-1231668490_thumb.jpg

post-2-1231668505_thumb.jpg

post-2-1231668540_thumb.jpg

Les.

Mine is in a similar state but I reckon I need to do the nearside door pillar as well, and the bits behind the ventilation flaps are rotten. God knows what else I'll find once I start taking the dash off to do the welding. At what point do you replace the entire bulkhead?

I'm also sure that mine shouldn't have got an MOT like it is, the hole in the outside of the door pillar happened when I poked it with my finger and I only bought it 2 months ago with a year's MOT.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

It should have failed the MOT - due to weakening the A-pillar. It's very common for this kind of corrosion to be ignored by the MOT tester though. The trouble with the type of corrosion you have there is that there's also a strengthening frame inside the skin of the bulkhead to support the screen bolts and corner in general, which will also need replacing. In the job I did in the pictures above, I had to make the inner support, repair the outer skin, and then the inner skin - as well as repairing the windscreen channel from the outer corner to the washer jet.

You're going to have a right old job repairing that lot Angus :(

Les :)

Cheers Les,

I have the top corner repair panels already, and I have found a replacement door pillar for £35 but the door pillar is surely going to take at least a couple of days on its own and I'll have to have the wing off to do it. I would have thought it's going to take me 3-4 days to do the top corner and the door pillar - how long is a rough estimate to replace the whole bulkhead?

• 9 years later...

Sheet metal and a shed load of patience! As yet no one as far as I'm aware supplies an "inner" repair panel. YRM do extended footwells which take the panels up to just under the vent panel...in most cases this replaces a lot of the usual rot spots. The internal area around the screen brackets and onto the vent apertures are down to yourself to make repair panels, time consuming but not impossible. 

If the bulkhead is severely corroded trying to keep things aligned is the biggest issue as the more you chop out the greater the chance for things twisting. Pretty sure Pegasus parts have a video of the jig they use to fabricate accurate bulkheads, I think Ashtree have a similar set up too.