What winch ??

loonylandy

I have a disco 1 which i use for laning and p&p days and will possibly using for longer journeys abroad at a later stage :rolleyes:

I am getting a winch bumper for the front but want to know which winch to get ? Im looking for self recovery and the like so does not have to be the fastest just something that will hold out and do the job ?

Ant recoommendations ???

cheers

Tony

TDS Goldfish 100% - speak to David Bowyer at Goodwinch, he's very knowledgable and will help you understand the choices you have. You never feel like he's trying to sell you something, just that he stocks the right product (now that's a good sales man :lol: )

The TDS Goldfish 9000lb isn't slow for a low profile (about 63 ft/min compared to the Warn 8274 at 74 ft/min no load speed), is quite cheaply priced and mine seems to be very nicely built.

As above ^^^ search the forum because the same answer normally comes up

My Superwinch LP8500 has done me proud and has shown little sign of its "budget" nature, it hauled my mate off his beached axles (Wheels were totally off the floor) in his Disco without blinking an eye and it his pulled me out of axle buried mud many a time.

It is pretty slow to say the least but for what I use it for and the price I am more than happy with that compromise

An overlooked winch (and pretty new model)

I will retire it to a rarely used rear at some point but only because I like upgrading but I have loads more other bits to buy first

EP9 is good. Will pull well and is reliable if you give it a once over evry now and again. It does suffer with speed under a heavy load, though.

TDS 9.5 is a very good choice. Pulls well and (more importantly) consistently. Mine just never seemed to slow down under load. It's not fast, but maintains a good speed.

The main benefit of these 2 is the external brake - this means that you can (more safely) use synthetic rope instead of cable. Others that have internal brakes suffer from heat build-up on long pulls/with prolonged use and this can affect a synthetic rope.

There are, of course, cheaper options availabe. The Champion Winches are, I believe, copies of the Superwinch ones, so may be worth a look.

If you want constant speed with almost bullet proof reliability, get a Husky. The speed will be slow, though!!

I wanted the 9.5 TDS but it was a few mm too long.

Asked David Bowyer what would be the next best thing in my size. He said no problem I will build you a shorter TDS for the same money.

Works well but only tested it a few times.

Steve