Swivel grease - one shot

EP 90 will not be to viscous?

One shot was a replacement for EP90 to try and reduce the leaks around the swivel seal. I run EP90 in mine and replace the seals when it leaks.

Before one shot came along EP90 was the standard lubrication and a common remedy for leaking swivel seals was to make up your own mix of EP90 and grease. If the seals are in good condition you can just use EP90, that's why there is a level plug in the swivel housing.

Thanks Dave W.

I know theat in cars like VW it is used an graphite lubricant in the constant-velocity joint = will it be an good alternative?

I don't think that would be thin enough, the problem is it has to lubricate the king pin bearings as well as the CV. One shot thins out a lot when it's warm so it lubricates the upper and lower bearings properly. The upper bearing, in particular, is "splash" lubricated so if the grease is too heavy it will run dry.

The CV and bearings were designed to be lubricated with EP90 in the first place so if you can't get hold of one shot just use EP90 and fill it to the level plug.

I don't think that would be thin enough, the problem is it has to lubricate the king pin bearings as well as the CV. One shot thins out a lot when it's warm so it lubricates the upper and lower bearings properly. The upper bearing, in particular, is "splash" lubricated so if the grease is too heavy it will run dry.

The CV and bearings were designed to be lubricated with EP90 in the first place so if you can't get hold of one shot just use EP90 and fill it to the level plug.

Thanks much I will follow your advice.

Ashcrofts recommend this for their CV's...

Morris K48 CV Joint Grease

K48 grease is manufactured from a Lithium soap base and highly refined mineral oil, with added Molybdenum Disulphide to provide protection against seizure in conditions when ordinary greases would fail. Also included in this grease are additives to stop corrosion, rust and oxidation. Additionally this grease shows excellent resistance to severe mechanical working.

For road use = One shot

For off road = EP90

Reason

One shot doesn't leak out, which is one of the key reasosn LR started to use it

rather than fix warranty claims for leaks in axles / swivels / flanges .

However as One shot doesn't leak neither do you know theres a problem - so

when off road water and goo gets in and churns the whole lot into scrap.

With EP90, if the oil in staying in and not leaking = water and goo tight, so stays in

one piece, if oil does leak then you know its repair time, like a early warning system

:)

Nige