200tdi turbo pressure problem

Ruuman

Hi all,

I'm slowly fixing all the problems on my 90, but as with land rovers, the more I fix the more appear :(

My turbo is a little strange, when the car is cold I get good power and the boost gauge is reading .6 bar, but after a few mins of driving the highest I can get it is .1bar and it not the gauge miss reading, it's definitely down on power.

I've replaced all the hoses, inter cooler and fixed all the manifold leaks, that did improve things a little, but I did find a lot of oil through out the system. the turbine spins ok and is quite tight vertically/horizontal, but moves back and forth maybe 4-5mm.

I'm guessing the seal has gone and when the turbo heats up the oil thins and leaks out thus not lubing correctly hence the low pressure and large amount of oil in the breathing system.

Is my logic correct? or have I missed something?

Many thanks

Ruu

Hi all,

I'm slowly fixing all the problems on my 90, but as with land rovers, the more I fix the more appear :(

My turbo is a little strange, when the car is cold I get good power and the boost gauge is reading .6 bar, but after a few mins of driving the highest I can get it is .1bar and it not the gauge miss reading, it's definitely down on power.

I've replaced all the hoses, inter cooler and fixed all the manifold leaks, that did improve things a little, but I did find a lot of oil through out the system. the turbine spins ok and is quite tight vertically/horizontal, but moves back and forth maybe 4-5mm.

I'm guessing the seal has gone and when the turbo heats up the oil thins and leaks out thus not lubing correctly hence the low pressure and large amount of oil in the breathing system.

Is my logic correct? or have I missed something?

Many thanks

Ruu

if you take the waste gate rod off the waste gate arm should fall back with out touching it (well mine does) if it doesnt ususaly the waste gate is all bunged up with soot. did it on my brother 2.5td n/a engine and did it on my 200tdi

to free it off i just got a spanner (fairly long) and pushed it back forth untill it was loose. shove your rod back on (or you can do it with the rod on) and give it whearl!

give it a try got nothing to loose.

cheers sam

give it a try nothing to loose!

cheers badger, sorry should have said I've checked the waste gate, all free and moving nicely, when I got the 90 first thing I did was fiddle with the fueling and wastegate. With hindsight I should have maybe fixed some of the other stuff first :(

cheers badger, sorry should have said I've checked the waste gate, all free and moving nicely, when I got the 90 first thing I did was fiddle with the fueling and wastegate. With hindsight I should have maybe fixed some of the other stuff first :(

ahh right, i missed a bit out about the play on the impeller. i dont know bugger all about turbos to be honest.. but looked on garrets web site http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...way_enlarge.jpg

that might give you more if a idea.

when u say the turbo only reaches 1 bar, does the engine eventually come up to speed?

the thing is normally if a turbo or an injector pump goes it will work but the engine will be very slugish, eventually gets there mind!

i thoght my turbo had gone, as like you said on first starting the turbo spooled up great 10 mins down the line i lost all power!

it turned out to just be my lift pump.

check it by operating the manual lever on the lower side of the pump if there is no resistance(like its pumping something!)

then the unitr is gone.

just a thought as £20 is better than £400!!!!! lol

cheers hope this helps

jack

Hi Jack, that's 0.1bar, I've replaced the fuel pump as it was gone when I first got the truck. The engine works fine, top speed is 65-70ish at the mo (after a long time), but there's no umph from the turbo at all.

I think I'll check the pump again just incase, really don't want to have to fork out on a new turbo :(

sounds like a leaking boost pipe or a split intercooler hose.

you were spot on western, finally had a spare 5mins to get stuck into it and replaced all the boost hoses with some nice silicon line. it's back to normal-ish. still an issue somewhere but that's landrovers.

The original boost pipe looked fine, but on very close inspection it had a couple of small spilts, I can only assume as the pipe heated up the rubber became more maluable and the splits leaked.

thanks all for your help.

Ruu

The bearing inside a turbo is designed to float in oil when it's running - hence the reason there's a small amount of play in the shaft. A turbo that has 1-2mm is perfectly ok, but this increases as it wears. If you have 5-6mm of play, then there's a chance that the vanes on the cold side will start to scrape on the alloy housing - sending particles of alloy (and eventually, bits of vane) into the intercooler. A worn turbo that does this makes a hell of a racket. You can get turbo's rebuilt for about half the cost of new one. There are plenty of turbo rebuilders out there, so shop around. Turbo Technics quoted me more to repair my 300TDi turbo than it would cost me to buy a new one :unsure:

Les.