Bulkhead removal bar

muddypaws

They fit 109s, with a little trimming of the upper flange of the upright posts behind the B pillar - I fit one to my 109 a few years ago - but they won't fit an 88.

I'm going to look at modifying the rear tub to give more space on my 88 as I build, not sure how yet!

I modded the bulkhead: normally it runs up vertical and then halfway up it bends backward, roughly the angle of the seat. I have modded it in such a way that it runs angled from the bottom upwards, in the same angle as normally the top bit runs. It does require you cutting the wheelboxes and you need to fill the voids with ally plate, but it is a neat conversion and you gain nearly 3" of legroom.

I dont like the idea of removing the bulkhead, it is good to have it, in case you load up the back of the vehicle, and you brake hard, it stops your load sliding in the back of you.

daan

I modded the bulkhead: normally it runs up vertical and then halfway up it bends backward, roughly the angle of the seat. I have modded it in such a way that it runs angled from the bottom upwards, in the same angle as normally the top bit runs. It does require you cutting the wheelboxes and you need to fill the voids with ally plate, but it is a neat conversion and you gain nearly 3" of legroom.

I dont like the idea of removing the bulkhead, it is good to have it, in case you load up the back of the vehicle, and you brake hard, it stops your load sliding in the back of you.

daan

Do you have any photos of this? It sounds a lot like the outcome I'm looking for!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have any photos of this? It sounds a lot like the outcome I'm looking for!

I've just cut out the bulkheads on every 88 I've owned....

My current S11 has done 40.000 miles with no bulkhead and has had no problems.....

And yes....before you ask it's a canvas roof.........

i looked into this a while ago and the biggest problem i found was the fuel filler neck, because it comes up just behind the seat and then passes through the bulkhead and up behind it, if you removed the bulkhead, the seat wouldnt go any further back because it would contact the filler neck, maybe you could reroute it with a bit of care.

One possibility i thought of was to put in a rear rollover hoop as they dont have a lot of upper strength anyway, this would mount a few inches back from the bulkhead, then weld some braces/brackets to the hoop to bolt to the tub sides to restore the strength provided by the bulkhead and just cut the bulkhead out,in theory it would work, but lack of funds has meant it hasnt yet become reality.

hope that helps

Ive seen some bulkhead removal brackets on ebay which were gen LR. Fitment IIRC was for defender but cant see why they wont fit a series. The seller was "Autocraft" Cant find there profile. The items not listed at the mo but will keep an eye out for the listing. Ask Western if he knows the part number & possibility of it fitting a series.

This photo shows some of the endresult. As dave88sw mentioned, the fuelfiller is making things harder, but not impossible. its all achievable with a jigsaw, saw, rivetpliers and a bit of allyplate.

daan041.jpg