Series 3 upgrade

stuntman

Hello one and all, anyone help please?

I'll be installing a 200 tdi into my S3 truck cab project with the standard 4 speed box, is it worth fitting the 10 spline diffs from the donor disco?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andi K

hi there,

do it! its the best thing ive done to my series II.

ive fitted a disco 200 with 10 spline 3.5 diffs, Td5 cross flow intercooler and a 300 Tdi defender K&N... . .. it gose like a rocket!! 70mph easy! you can run a series G/box just dont give it beans off it the line else your brake a half shaft or strip Frist. its also pretty good on fuel if you drive it carefuly.

any qustions ask.

ben.............

Hi Mate

I totally agree with Ben

I also have a series 2 swb ive fitted a disco 200 tdi with 10 spline 3.5 diffs runs perfectly the gearbox seems to cope well and she will do 70mph no problem (quick enough on drum brakes lol )

Just pull away in 1st with a bit of respect and the gearbox will be fine.

If you need any help or advice feel free to give me a shout

Chris

Hi Mate

I totally agree with Ben

I also have a series 2 swb ive fitted a disco 200 tdi with 10 spline 3.5 diffs runs perfectly the gearbox seems to cope well and she will do 70mph no problem (quick enough on drum brakes lol )

Just pull away in 1st with a bit of respect and the gearbox will be fine.

If you need any help or advice feel free to give me a shout

Chris

Hi

sorry to but in but I'm doing the same conversiob to a series 2 . Should I be using the series 2 or 3 gearbox any advice

Cheers

series 2a suffix D is the strongest series box - but you wont have synchro on 1st and 2nd (which some poeple cant get on with) and to be honest, most series boxes will cope with a standard tdi if they are in good order.

personally i'd just get a late series 3 gearbox rebuilt by someone who knows what they`re doing and use quality gear oils in it and not race away from traffic lights like a boy racer. Should last fine.

Hi John

I have a series 3 box in mine which seems to be coping well, but to be honest i i didnt choose the box it just happened to be a series 3 when i brought it

If i was to put a replacement in, i would go for a series 3 box only because it has syncros on the gears and i dont have to double the clutch where as the series 2 "crash box " you do have to.

Regarding strength i have heard that the series 2 box is a bit stronger but the series 3 box is fine, with both boxes your have to feed the 200tdi power on gently in first and second gears

Hope this helps

Regards chris

I'll be installing a 200 tdi into my S3 truck cab project with the standard 4 speed box, is it worth fitting the 10 spline diffs

I had a 300 in my 2a on the 2a box with 3.45 diffs - I found the gearing too high for offroad driving,so I fitted an lt77.

To put peoples' minds at rest, my 109 has a 200Tdi with a SIII box, and completed a 2,500 mile Alpine expedition, climbing 1:3 inclines, driving Hannibal's Trail, and managing a 10,500 climb to the Sommelier glacier, fully laden with camping gear, spares and tools and weighing about 3.5 tons. It coped fine with the fast autoroutes too. All that was required was to keep topping up the gearbox oil, which did decrease a little every few days, despite only having the usual evidence of minor weeping.