Fitting of a Rear Work Lamp to a 300tdi disco's d pillar

ashtray

ok well basically i want to fit a work lamp the the rear pillar, to the left of the tailgate. taking the interior trim panels off reveals that the panel is double skinned so i cant get bolts to it. has anyone else fitted them in this area. the bracket for the work lamp has 4 bolt holes on a 4x2" plate.

Thanks

ash

I have two I'm about to fit on mine. I plan to put them onto the roof, the vertical bit above the gutter. I may be wrong, but I think its single skinned here and dropping the back of the headlining is only a ten minute job. Ensure you seal the bolt and cable holes properly, lets have a photo of the finished article :)

Stu.

On my 200tdi you can get between the skins by removing the rear light cluster. I'd be very weary of fixing it to there though, what happens if you clonk it on a tree - I think it would be ripped out of the very thin skin leaving an awful mess and no way of fixing it.

I used aerial gutter mounts clamped to the very short section of gutter before it turns and goes up over the door.

Can you find something to put between the 2 skins to enable you to bolt all the way through both??

The other option is to mount them internally above the rear door and allow them to swing down when needed. That way all the wiring and fixings can remain within the vehicle and (a bit more) water tight...

well it needs to be on that pillar, i dont think i can get my arm up inside through the rear lamp, however, i could rivnut the lamp, and run the wires down to the rear light, that sounds easy enough. and route the cables underneath the bracket, and seal it up then theoretically no water can get in. Should i hot wire it off of the reverse lights and fit a bigger fuse? i do have most of the interior out atm. id like it to just come on with the reverse lights, as i cant see jack out the back at night. it also has a manual switch on the lamp body so i can have it on or off whenever. what do you reckon?

I'm thinking that you will need to run a separate power supply to be able to use it independently of the reversing lights... Otherwise, you will have to leave the vehicle in reverse with the ignition on in order to use the light.

i'd be carefull about fixing a lamp to that panel, the metal might look tough but its about as structurally sound as folded tin foil... see what happened to mine when the disco slid backwards (very slowly) into a tree...

med_gallery_169_181_1082562.jpg

If you are going to fix a lamp onto that panel you need large washers or a spreader plate behind the bolts, otherwise that panel is an accident waiting to happen...

I used to have a worklamp like that one - I took off the bottom part of the bracket that you bolt down to the body and bolted the remainder to a CB gutter mount - similar to this:

worklight.JPG

Originally the cable was fed through the door but I did eventually drill and grommet/silicon the cable through the body.

I have two I'm about to fit on mine. I plan to put them onto the roof, the vertical bit above the gutter. I may be wrong, but I think its single skinned here and dropping the back of the headlining is only a ten minute job. Ensure you seal the bolt and cable holes properly, lets have a photo of the finished article :)

Stu.

thats where i have mine its single skinned as the roof levels out i have the square hella ones that are fitted to jcbs as work lights,chris

You can do it quite easily with a 3 position detent switch like this

Carling%20SPDT.jpg

The top 2 terminals are just for the internal ligth so ignoing them for the moment. Of the remaining 3 terminals, the middle one is the common and depending on the switch poition it is connected to either the terminal above, below or neither. Connect the work light to the common terminal, the reverse lights to the bottom swtich and a constant (or only on with ignition) power supply to the top terminal. This way you switching between which supply powers the work lights.