military spec

rocky

Hi, I am looking to buy a defender 90 and have seen some nice ones on the internet at a yorkshire garage. Could someone please tell me what the difference is between military and civy spec., and give me a few pointers what to look for.

I have a 300tdi disco and would like a defender with the 300 engine. Regards, Rocky

yep, the only ones you will buy direct from the mod from somewhere like withams will be a v8 or a n/a diesel.

the n/a diesels are way underpowered but an easy enough conversion to a tdi engine.

although ex mod gear will have been abused, they do also get well maintained, in my books a decent buy - but I would only buy direct release rather than through a trader.

Usually 1986 or 1991 contract, GS general service canvas backs or FFR fitted for radio hardtops. All fitted with 2.5NA's or V8's (110's)

Different indicators, two piece doors ala Series 3's unless winterised then push buttons, basic slab cushion seats, HD suspension if FFR, leather gaitors on swivels, 1991 NA engines had improved breather systems, pioneer fixings on rear door/tailgate, tie down hooks in load area, 6 way lighting switch on military centre dash, heated windscreen if winterised (usually 110's), external bonnet catches. Other stuff I cant remember at the moment.

good mechanical condition, all battered external bodywork, poor hand painted camo paint.

RAF had some 300TDI that were used for airfield duties/personnel stuff

RNP, beg to differ - no swivel gaiters, (well, not on ARMY ones anyway), - they came off the whole fleet in 1989/90 - I know as I did most of 'em myself, between beers....... Otherwise, spot on. Plus the V8 110's - very rare beast and it will be restricted if still in standard trim.

RNP, beg to differ - no swivel gaiters, (well, not on ARMY ones anyway), - they came off the whole fleet in 1989/90 - I know as I did most of 'em myself, between beers....... Otherwise, spot on. Plus the V8 110's - very rare beast and it will be restricted if still in standard trim.

mine must have been the first one after your beers! its still got them and the swivels are mint underneath.

Thanks for all the replies, the vehicle I have been looking at has a tdi engine, and if I remember rightly the 2.5tdi was a bit unreliable. Regards, rocky

now your getting confused :blink:

the 2.5TD [Turbocharged Diesel But no intercooler] is old & can suffer from heat stress faults in the cylinder head & pistons.

the Tdi [Turbocharged direct injection] in either 200 [1st version] or later 300, form are excellent engines & if well cared for will cover starship mileages.