Driving on Ice

YAS328

With it being around -20 at the moment and only reaching -8 to -12 during the day there are plenty of frozen lochs about. How thick would you consider to be 'safe' to drive on? It hasn't been thinner than 8" since around new year. Under the snow it seems more than 1ft deep. Would it be safe enough to drive on and have a slide about?

Cheers :o

Depends on what truck your using <_<

1000hp buggy & cut tractor tyres & it doesnt need to be frozen :P

I was up in Lapland for the millenium and remember being very scared about even walking on the ice.

The very next day the town council were driving a JCB on it to clear snow for the millenium celebrations. Only then could I overcome my years of "never walk on the ice" nagging/training and venture out on it.

Still scared pooless.

Was speaking to a work mate about this today who said if I cut the roof off to the bottom of the pillars he'd sit next to me whilst in his kayak. Defiantly going to have to make time on a Sunday afternoon for this...

Depends on what truck your using

1000hp buggy & cut tractor tyres & it doesnt need to be frozen

Or how big your balls are or stupid I am :P

Week ago we rode on ice of Finnish Gulf not far from very stony shore. The ice was covered with snow and I missed one cracked bit. Good I have friends. They took me out of...

How it starts. We crossed the stream and off we go!

IMG_0167.jpg

Upps! Sound of cracking ice is great!

IMG_0188.jpg

After recovery we on our way again. Did't give up.

IMG_0190-1.jpg

In the end we found way out to destination point

IMG_0216.jpg

Personally I wouldnt do it in the UK, its not cold enough for long enough here, even in Scotland, even this year, and its just not worth the risk. Foolhardy would sum it up in my opinion.

I've gone though ice on foot/skis and watched a friend go through in a 90 up to the door handles, both in a (semi) controlled environment and both times extemely unpleasant to say the least.

if the ice is noisy/creaking then avoid it at all costs, If you really want to do it go to Scandinavia or Canada and go with a local who knows the score.

i can confirm 8* is not enough for a discovery or jeep cherokee!!!

tried it last weekend the jeep just crashed through the ice and nose dived into icy water ripping the splitter off and smashing the front grille to bits!!

the discovery went in from the opposite side and just crashed through it all!!

the pool is only about 3 car lengths long and 3 foot deep so you are hardly going to kill yourself in it but i would not go over anything deeper incase i lost my motor!!