gutless disco

python

wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem, i have a disco 300. is very short of power, makes all the right noises but seems really gutless. loses power on the hills too. i have changed the manifold gasket as it was leaking, took out the air filter, not put in a new one yet. changed the fuel filter. cleaned the intercooler out, wasnt bad. need some help, still has all the egr rubbish on but dont think that will cause this. head gasket looks good. does have a whine fron a tensioner bearing though. help. its emmbarassing.

Poor performance and sometimes smoke if the injection pump is a little worn too.

see mine goes ok ish ( i think) but seems to smoke more than i think it should (only had it 3 weeks tho)

esp when laboring on a hill etc

has been de egr,d and de catted had pump tweaked with uprated intercooler and a itg panel air filter

has just had a major service inc cambelt (air filter blown out but will throw a normal paper element in it too eliminate that as poss blocked a little??)

the guy who serviced it runs a 200 tdi rrc auto and thinks that my disco is very quick but im comparing it to my old rrc v8 so maybe im expecting too much performance wise????

rob

ps sorry python for the hijack ;)

see mine goes ok ish ( i think) but seems to smoke more than i think it should (only had it 3 weeks tho)

esp when laboring on a hill etc

has been de egr,d and de catted had pump tweaked with uprated intercooler and a itg panel air filter

has just had a major service inc cambelt (air filter blown out but will throw a normal paper element in it too eliminate that as poss blocked a little??)

the guy who serviced it runs a 200 tdi rrc auto and thinks that my disco is very quick but im comparing it to my old rrc v8 so maybe im expecting too much performance wise????

rob

ps sorry python for the hijack ;)

What V8 did you have before?

Remember a decently tweaked Tdi should only be making around 150bhp/260lb ft with a limited rev range. It should drive well and have nice power delivery. But a 3.9 V8 has 182bhp and similar torque and should be quicker still.

I'm not far from you (just S of MK). If you wanted a comparison your welcome to have a ride in my tweaked 200Tdi Disco or run yours side by side with mine.

What V8 did you have before?

Remember a decently tweaked Tdi should only be making around 150bhp/260lb ft with a limited rev range. It should drive well and have nice power delivery. But a 3.9 V8 has 182bhp and similar torque and should be quicker still.

I'm not far from you (just S of MK). If you wanted a comparison your welcome to have a ride in my tweaked 200Tdi Disco or run yours side by side with mine.

was a mildly tweaked 3.9 rrc auto

im starting to think mine is ok tbh as i was behind a disco the other day up a hill and he was going down into 3rd (could see him shifting down through the back window) while i was still in 4th and trailing the throttle and his smoked much worse than mine so im now going to ignore it lol

will concetrate on getting the poly bush kit on it and seeing if i can make it handle as well as the rrc!!!

out of interest what tweeks do you have on yours??

rob

was a mildly tweaked 3.9 rrc auto

im starting to think mine is ok tbh as i was behind a disco the other day up a hill and he was going down into 3rd (could see him shifting down through the back window) while i was still in 4th and trailing the throttle and his smoked much worse than mine so im now going to ignore it lol

will concetrate on getting the poly bush kit on it and seeing if i can make it handle as well as the rrc!!!

out of interest what tweeks do you have on yours??

rob

Smoke is good :lol: the more smoke the more power in diesel tuning.

Mines not too modded, just a Allisport full width intercooler and tuned injector pump and upped boost (it's a 200Tdi so now matches 300Tdi on boost). And a slightly freer flowing exhaust. I do run some big Simex mud tyres (33.11.50) and with stock gearing this does dampen the acceleration a bit.

While touring in Wales the other year I easily out powered a stock TD5 Disco II in the hills and on the straights, so I know it must be running ok. Having said that a stock D3 2.7 TDV6 will romp all over me as though I'm going backwards....

I've been looking into the Allisport propane kit, just waiting for them to get back to me with some more details. But I think it might be a good way to go.

If you don't mind slightly higher cruising rpms it might be worth looking at swapping the LT230 transfer box for one out of a Defender, those ones are more aggressively geared for high range, either that or change the diff gears, but that gets pricey.

you have seen those cummins powered pick ups on you tube then ????

wow they must be really well tuned lololol

rob

I have indeed! :D :D :D :D :D :D And I just love em. Although I think the GM Duramax V8 is king at the moment. 6.6 litres DOHC common rail, variable nozzle turbo and all the trimmings. There are plenty making around 800bhp and 1200lb ft or torque. Sadly don't think a LR drivetrain or chassis would cope with that though..... :rolleyes:

wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem, i have a disco 300.

Don't worry, it comes to us all at some point. You're best bet is to just accept the situation.

Maybe adding lifestyle accesories such as a pipe, cardigan, or even slippers would make

you feel more at home. However the pinnacle must be meshback driving gloves.

A more sedate lifestyle and shopping at M+S will also help you find comfort in this new

stage of your life.

However if you start wandering over to LROi forum you may as well retire and find a comfy

chair to sit in whilst spending your days watching cricket.

I have indeed! :D :D :D :D :D :D And I just love em. Although I think the GM Duramax V8 is king at the moment. 6.6 litres DOHC common rail, variable nozzle turbo and all the trimmings. There are plenty making around 800bhp and 1200lb ft or torque. Sadly don't think a LR drivetrain or chassis would cope with that though..... :rolleyes:

then you should look up the proper cummins engine that i used to build !!!! (laid off friday tho :(:( )

v18 91 litre 16000lb ft torque and 8000hp +

slightly larger than a lr but wicked none the less

rob

• 5 weeks later...

bringing this back to the top. the list so far is air and fuel filters. cleaned the intercooler and inlet manifold. cleaned the sedimeter. fitted new quality lift pump today, made a little difference. thinking the timing may be out? any ideas guys?

- EGR as suggested from the 1st place

- inside delamination on the hoses between the turbo and intake manifold

- broken diaphragm on the injection pump

- air in the fuel lines

- timing (if it smokes) - it takes 15 mins so check it anyway.

Smoke is good :lol: the more smoke the more power in diesel tuning.

Mines not too modded, just a Allisport full width intercooler and tuned injector pump and upped boost (it's a 200Tdi so now matches 300Tdi on boost). And a slightly freer flowing exhaust. I do run some big Simex mud tyres (33.11.50) and with stock gearing this does dampen the acceleration a bit.

While touring in Wales the other year I easily out powered a stock TD5 Disco II in the hills and on the straights, so I know it must be running ok. Having said that a stock D3 2.7 TDV6 will romp all over me as though I'm going backwards....

I've been looking into the Allisport propane kit, just waiting for them to get back to me with some more details. But I think it might be a good way to go.

If you don't mind slightly higher cruising rpms it might be worth looking at swapping the LT230 transfer box for one out of a Defender, those ones are more aggressively geared for high range, either that or change the diff gears, but that gets pricey.

You will be well pleased with the lpg kit, but you will eat clutches

Steve

- EGR as suggested from the 1st place

- inside delamination on the hoses between the turbo and intake manifold

- broken diaphragm on the injection pump

- air in the fuel lines

- timing (if it smokes) - it takes 15 mins so check it anyway.

hi mate, hoses ok, egr is in the bin as off tomorrow. whoo hoo. i havent a clue how to look at the timing or injection pump. i dont think there is air in the lines. bled the system today after doing the lift pump. i dont really notice any smoke. it runs well just lacks power. i was told about a water trap. where is that? i have done the sedimenter. cheers guys.

hi mate, hoses ok, egr is in the bin as off tomorrow. whoo hoo. i havent a clue how to look at the timing or injection pump. i dont think there is air in the lines. bled the system today after doing the lift pump. i dont really notice any smoke. it runs well just lacks power. i was told about a water trap. where is that? i have done the sedimenter. cheers guys.

If it isn't the EGR then it could be a pin hole in the intercooler or in any of the intercooler hoses.

Also chec the thin hose to the turbo wastegate actuator. A hole in this will dramatically affect performance