Brake pedal

treebloke

The brake pedal has gone hard so first we changed the servo inc the master cylinder but still the same so changed the servo pump and still the same.

Changed the pipe from the pump to the servo and still the same.

Pads were a little low on the front so changed them no difference.

Tried to bleed the front o/s and could not get any fluid through so changed the flexi hose which sorted that but pedal still hard.

Struggeling for what to do next?.

The brake pedal has gone hard so first we changed the servo inc the master cylinder but still the same so changed the servo pump and still the same.

Changed the pipe from the pump to the servo and still the same.

Pads were a little low on the front so changed them no difference.

Tried to bleed the front o/s and could not get any fluid through so changed the flexi hose which sorted that but pedal still hard.

Struggeling for what to do next?.

SI Discovery is it?

So, servo test is. Engine off; press pedal to expell all vacuum, pedal should now be hard.

With foot on pedal, start engine, pedal should go soft and move toward floor, if not then you have a servo/vacuum problem.

Has the pipe to the heater controls split and fallen off of the tee piece? if so that will allow the vacuum to "leak" on low revs.

If not a SI then ignore the last bit.

Kevin

bert was askin me about this earlier, if you pull the pipe out of the servo , start the engine and put your finger over the end of the pipe it should be trying to pull a vacumn on your finger? if it is that rules out the vacumn pump.

bert was askin me about this earlier, if you pull the pipe out of the servo , start the engine and put your finger over the end of the pipe it should be trying to pull a vacumn on your finger? if it is that rules out the vacumn pump.

Yes did that first, so changed the servo but made no difference?.

SI Discovery is it?

So, servo test is. Engine off; press pedal to expell all vacuum, pedal should now be hard.

With foot on pedal, start engine, pedal should go soft and move toward floor, if not then you have a servo/vacuum problem.

Has the pipe to the heater controls split and fallen off of the tee piece? if so that will allow the vacuum to "leak" on low revs.

If not a SI then ignore the last bit.

Kevin

Its a 1995. Changed the pipe after the servo and pump.

Its a 1995. Changed the pipe after the servo and pump.

Is it fixed yet?

Does anything change when you start the engine with foot on brake?

One assumes, as you say that you bled a brake after you changed the flexipipe, that the pedal goes up and down ok when a nipple it open. That being the case you should feel the pedal go soft when you start the engine. You say that you've changed the servo/master cylinder, and the vacuum pump, does the pedal move at all?

stating the obvious but you havent left a brake pipe clamp on somewhere?

:P no brake pipe clamp.

The pedal is hard 'full stop'. When I start the engine there is no difference and pedal does not go soft with or without the engine running.

:P no brake pipe clamp.

i had that when i worked at ford, car came in pulling to one side under braking, when i had a look i found a pair of molegrips on the front brake pipe, turned out it had been to kwick fit a few days ealier for a new caliper

try unbolting the master cylinder then pressing the brake peddle and see if the pedal is free, if the pedal moves ok, refit the master cylinder then in turn crack the brake pipes on the Master cylinder and see if there's any movement at the pedal, if no movement, then fault is Master cylinder/Servo, if there is movement then it is after the Master, Have you checked the pressure relief valve? Hope this is of some use to you.

Goz :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...