Landrover Arthritis -and how to avoid it?

This is a little naive, but haven't found a particular guide to maintenance of underside moving components - it would be a nice asset in the tech archive.

I mean, how often and where to apply grease to various joints, especially if one has been doing minor bits of wading. Likewise, diffs, transfer box, gearbox - all the things that might suffer wear if not properly lubricated. Is there some collected wisdon on this?

cheers

sparg

gnerally speaking if you have dunked it in water, then lubricate everything, prop joints etc being the main ones.

check the fluids for water ingress, swivels, axles etc. if it's been a day long thing, eg playing at an off road site, then it may just pay to change it all.

gnerally speaking if you have dunked it in water, then lubricate everything, prop joints etc being the main ones.

check the fluids for water ingress, swivels, axles etc. if it's been a day long thing, eg playing at an off road site, then it may just pay to change it all.

ah yes, thanks - but... I haven't a manual (yet) and so don't quite know how to actually check various fluids for ingress - for instance, what signs of ingress in the swivels would there be, I wonder.

I also wonder if they jacked under the suspension when changing the disc pads, and if so, did they jack where they shouldn't...

ah yes, thanks - but... I haven't a manual (yet) and so don't quite know how to actually check various fluids for ingress - for instance, what signs of ingress in the swivels would there be, I wonder.

I also wonder if they jacked under the suspension when changing the disc pads, and if so, did they jack where they shouldn't...

when oil and water mix you usually get emulsification, in other words, it thickens and forms a creamy coloured substance that is commonly referred to as mayonnaise. gear oils usually turn a lovely shade of grey/brown/cream, depending on the amount of water.

as for the swivels, i usually find that jacking the front up, removing the wheel, and then loosening the top swivel bolts is enough to check for water ingress, as any that has got in usually drips out the bottom. if it does, then it pays to strip and clean the bearings before the get ground to paste.

generally speaking, you can jack a landrover under the diff, or anywhere along the axle. i usually jack under the diff, then support with stands on the outside of the front radius arms.

props are easy enough, get a grease gun and pump the joints full of the stuff, you will usually see some escape the seals when there is enough in there.

Yup a grease nipple on the side of the length of the propshaft near the joint between the two halves.

Oil change for me is once a year (never made that yet :) ) or when they get contaminated with water - frequently ;) Basically, the more you play, the more frequently you'll have to change them.

Mo

Yup a grease nipple on the side of the length of the propshaft near the joint between the two halves.

Oil change for me is once a year (never made that yet :) ) or when they get contaminated with water - frequently ;) Basically, the more you play, the more frequently you'll have to change them.

Mo

ah! suspect it's time... have to get the wife under there after all

Generally speaking you should grease everything that's got a nipple as regularly as possible. The green bible has very strict guidelines and in daily off-road use you have to check & grease everything daily.

After off-roading I generally clean the truck (well, the underneath at least) and then grease everything and check all the oils for signs of contamination.

On tour we do it all daily on every truck.

Generally speaking you should grease everything that's got a nipple as regularly as possible. The green bible has very strict guidelines and in daily off-road use you have to check & grease everything daily.

After off-roading I generally clean the truck (well, the underneath at least) and then grease everything and check all the oils for signs of contamination.

On tour we do it all daily on every truck.

:blink:

Ah - think it's my own stupid fault, then - I've been neglectful and will have to pay for it. The green bible - the manual?

regards

sparg

I don't think there are that many grease nipples on a TD5 ... the ball joints are all sealed.

when you pump the UJ's just do it until it bulges - if you see grease coming out the end it means you've blown the seal.

i didn't know that- i always thought pumpped until clean grease came ot of each seal on UJ/ slider.- have been doing that past 7yrs ive had the td5 90.

i didn't know that- i always thought pumpped until clean grease came ot of each seal on UJ/ slider.- have been doing that past 7yrs ive had the td5 90.

Same here, don't know where I got it from but was always told to pump until grease came out of most or all of the UJ joints?

The axle ball joints have grease in them there is a filler plug on the front on TD5's have a look on ebay for ball joint grease sachets(exact amount for each joint). I think the logic for diffs and gearbox check regularly if there is any sign of an issue with the oil change it, If that become very reqular you need to look at the seals and breather hoses.

Steven you say these sachets have the exact amount for each joint, but if you can't get the stuff out that's already in there how can you know you're putting the exact amount in?

I think Steven is actually referring to the SWIVEL JOINTS rather than the steering arm ball joints.

Mo

I don't think there are that many grease nipples on a TD5 ... the ball joints are all sealed.

when you pump the UJ's just do it until it bulges - if you see grease coming out the end it means you've blown the seal.

The seals on UJ spiders are not a tight fitted seal as an oil seal would be but soft rubber item located by a lip on the seal. I really can't see how you can blow a seal by pumping grease out through them, it's certainly never done mine any harm and I pump grease through until clean grease come out :D

Mo

They must meet there purpose and seal to a reasonable extent to bulge before they 'blow'. Then once the grease can pass it seems there is a route for it to leek out and for water to pass the other way.

I guess if your seal is poor to start with it won't make much difference and also if you fill it often enough it won't matter...

ah! suspect it's time... have to get the wife under there after all

She reports that the aft uj on the forard prop is flapping like washing in the wind - 1/2 inch of play - surprised it's not exploded already. I've admonished her for her poor maintenance regime. When I go splashing through fords and over hills, I expect the machine to be tip top by the next morning. Her reply exemplified all that's wrong with the empire today...

If Memsahib is incapable of the rigorous maintenance schedule required, may I suggest that one requisition a few natives to assist ?

Mo

The trouble is, the ungrateful wretches don't appreciate one is bringing them civilisation!