Help needed

Hello All,

Made the most of the better weather today and started on the stripping out of the floor on my 90 to replace the outriggers and also the foot wells.

Whilst the sun shone we checked the rest of the chassis and found a few hole to prep for patching but I am getting used to landrover holes and managed not to despair too much however two areas do cause me some worry and they are the rear cross member and the rear tubular outrigger the rear cross member has some small holes in the outer face but the inner faces have some larger holes all of which are patchable but is this covered on an mot because I intend to replace the rear cross member later anyway but time is short until the due date of mot so I would rather patch and mend at this stage.

The tubular outrigger is secured by a tie bracket which is sound but the alloy that is above the outrigger is corroded through and will need a repair pop riveted plate or tig weld, again is this a critical point for the MOT as the outrigger is fixed to the body by the tie bracket.

By the way does the outrigger bolt have any form of rubber bush between the bulkhead and the outrigger on the bolt?

I will post pictures as the bulkhead outriggers have to be amongst the worst seen by anyone they are just a skeletal framework the footwell seemed very thick and when we cut it out we could see why.. Someone had applied about three repair panels one after the other without removing the knackered metal!

Thank god for the angle grinder and hammer.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Cheers

The images include my assistant/adviser

James

post-13733-1237067323_thumb.jpg

post-13733-1237067589_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

Made the most of the better weather today and started on the stripping out of the floor on my 90 to replace the outriggers and also the foot wells.

Whilst the sun shone we checked the rest of the chassis and found a few hole to prep for patching but I am getting used to landrover holes and managed not to despair too much however two areas do cause me some worry and they are the rear cross member and the rear tubular outrigger the rear cross member has some small holes in the outer face but the inner faces have some larger holes all of which are patchable but is this covered on an mot because I intend to replace the rear cross member later anyway but time is short until the due date of mot so I would rather patch and mend at this stage.

The tubular outrigger is secured by a tie bracket which is sound but the alloy that is above the outrigger is corroded through and will need a repair pop riveted plate or tig weld, again is this a critical point for the MOT as the outrigger is fixed to the body by the tie bracket.

By the way does the outrigger bolt have any form of rubber bush between the bulkhead and the outrigger on the bolt?

I will post pictures as the bulkhead outriggers have to be amongst the worst seen by anyone they are just a skeletal framework the footwell seemed very thick and when we cut it out we could see why.. Someone had applied about three repair panels one after the other without removing the knackered metal!

Thank god for the angle grinder and hammer.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Cheers

The images include my assistant/adviser

James

hello and just to say get to rust holes sooner than later as i found out and jacked up my rear end and the cross member snaped and twisted on me so had to get new rear end £175 later .

heres what happened to mine .

044.jpg

045.jpg

The second pic in the first post looks fairly typical, hope you've got a towball cover or you won't be at all popular :)

I'd be a bit "brutal" when you're inspecting a chassis. Just because the MOT tester isn't allowed to take a hammer to it anymore doesn't mean you can't. A light tap all over the chassis will soon reveal where the rot has set in and how far it's spread.

Had to put a patch on SWMBO's 90 before this year's MOT after a gentle tap with the hammer went straight through the rear cross member. It looked fine but there was nothing left under the paint.

Don't forget that the seat belt mounts to the tubular outrigger so it must be 100% sound to pass the MOT.

OK thanks for all the help doing some more today and will try to get some more images without my daughters (age 18 months so yes to young to drive) inclusion, I will post them this evening.

I am always pleased when people take the time to offer advice to others who are really just strangers who share a common interest. As a novice with some times the help of a fabricator/welder I have to say that the help I get from the posts are a great help, much better than the"ideal world fantasy scenarios” referred to in the manuals where rust is uncommon and nuts come off first time and the former owners were time served mechanics who have lavished all care and attention on their vehicles!

So thanks to everyone for the help.

Cheers

James

:P