BW to LT230-How Hard/Difficult?

LittleBlue88

Howdy all,

Ive just got the engine&box out of my 92'RRC,and i think the viscous unit in the transfer box is seized.

Im not that worried at this point,but since ive got access to a LT230 if i want it...Just how hard is it to swap?

The transfer box casing size suggests that the input shaft is considerably longer than on the LT77,is this the case?

Cheers

As noted above, it is a straight forward job. The rear propshaft is the same for both boxes, front is shorter for the LT230. You will need to source the hi/lo/diff lock lever, mount and linkages for the LT230. Typically 2-3 hours work at a leisurely pace.

While the LT230 is off the vehicle, check the splines on the input gear. It is worth fitting a cross drilled gear to avoid future damage to the main box output shaft splines.

As noted above, it is a straight forward job. The rear propshaft is the same for both boxes, front is shorter for the LT230. You will need to source the hi/lo/diff lock lever, mount and linkages for the LT230. Typically 2-3 hours work at a leisurely pace.

While the LT230 is off the vehicle, check the splines on the input gear. It is worth fitting a cross drilled gear to avoid future damage to the main box output shaft splines.

<HIJACK>

Sorry about this but I am doing the same conversion right now, BW to LT230 but in a Defender.

Regarding sourcing the Hi/Lo/Difflock lever, mounts and linkages, what would the necessary parts have been fitted to originally? Would parts from an auto Disco 1, or 3.5 auto RRC fit? And will the lever be in the right place for the Defender tunnel?

Apologies again

</HIJACK>

The LT230 was a factory fit to the Defender, Therefore, all the original parts will be available from a similar aged Defender to yours. The transfer lever will be in the right place for a Defender tunnel.

My conversion was the other direction (LT230 to BW) on a 300Tdi 110. I kept the Defender Hi/Lo/Diff Lock lever and used the pushrod from the RRC BW transfer box. The front prop was 3.9V8 RRC. The diff lock sideways motion was blocked by a suitably cut length of garden hose.

The LT230 was a factory fit to the Defender, Therefore, all the original parts will be available from a similar aged Defender to yours. The transfer lever will be in the right place for a Defender tunnel.

My conversion was the other direction (LT230 to BW) on a 300Tdi 110. I kept the Defender Hi/Lo/Diff Lock lever and used the pushrod from the RRC BW transfer box. The front prop was 3.9V8 RRC. The diff lock sideways motion was blocked by a suitably cut length of garden hose.

Sorry, forgot to mention, the manual box that I am replacing with the auto is LT85 which has a different transfer shift assembly that mounts on the main box and not on the transfer box. But if I am understanding you correctly the transfer lever assembly from an LT77 or R380 Defender should fit :unsure:

Sorry, forgot to mention, the manual box that I am replacing with the auto is LT85 which has a different transfer shift assembly that mounts on the main box and not on the transfer box. But if I am understanding you correctly the transfer lever assembly from an LT77 or R380 Defender should fit :unsure:

Duh,

Think I have answered my own question -

post-7124-1237306021_thumb.jpg

Item 10 unbolts from item 1 which is part of the LT85 and fixes to the top of the auto box if all the holes in the right place. Reuse the existing linkages and levers.