A-Bar for LR Defender

I posted a little while back about the matter of buying an A-bar for my Defender 110 CSW, and the issue of whether I do in fact need an A-bar that fits vehicles with airconditioning. Bishbosh sked if I could post a photo or two and I said I would, later. Here they are.

Btw, between the flat metal headlight surround and the front of the grille, the horizontal distance is exactly 10cm.

Does it look as though I need an A-bar for a/c models?

post-7467-1237278608_thumb.jpg

post-7467-1237278690_thumb.jpg

post-7467-1237279077_thumb.jpg

I find it a bit hard to see on your pics how much the grill sticks out over the bumper - a side on shot would reveal it.

I just looked for a picture of mine - but I also don't have a picture that is side on. This is the closest I could find....

29122008312.jpg

You can see that the A bar comes 'almost' vertically up from the bumper top - it doesn't kick out forwards much.

I'll try and take a side on pic for you soon if that will help you decide...?

Hi,

I have a 110 with AC and the "Soft" A bar fitted (came out of the factory like that) I dont think that there is any diffrence when fitting A Bars the AC part of the Grill only sits forward 50mm of where it would be on a non AC defender and the typical a bar clearenace is more than this. (have attached a Photo.)

Cheers, Jason

post-15513-1237283132_thumb.jpg

I think the soft A Bar type will fit, certainly mine always had a lot of room between it and the grille as it mounts to the front of the bumper, but if you are looking for genuine purposes of protection (ie - not for looks or to mount lights, as in my case) that will last more than once I'd look at something else, they are ok for knocks and resting against trees but for anything more you'll need better protection.