Odd Question again!!

Tony Jones

Hi guys,

I was wondering whether the front stub axle assemblies from either a defender, RRC or Disco 1 could be retrofitted into a Series front axle to enable an easier disc brake fitting. Logically, the halfshafts would be wrong but could the series type be fitted or adapted to fit? :blink:

If it was this easy why would there be conversion kits to fit discs to series axles or people converting coiler axles to fit the leaf springs. The flanges are not compatable.

That's exactly why I asked, I wanted to know if they were either similar or one could be adapted to fit the defender/disco/RRC entire swivel assemblies. I take it that they can't be adapted then? Unfortunately I haven't got any colier parts here to look so I thought i'd ask the guys who'd know.

Meccano, I was actually talking about the entire assembly; basically i'd just leave the axle casings and diffs in the axles and use the rest if you follow me.

Gazzar, thanks. I'll look give a little search and see. Cheers.

Meccano, I was actually talking about the entire assembly; basically i'd just leave the axle casings and diffs in the axles and use the rest if you follow me.

Unfortunately what I think he was getting at was that the caliper brackets are part of the axle casing on most axles (possible not on salsburys??)

Cheers guys, like you said they are very expensive and in my mind could be made better. I took Gazzar's advice and looked at the archive and there's alot of very detailed accounts of custom brake set ups which look to have been made much better than commercially available kit and more upgradable with available HD pads and disks.

I do want something that works better and is built to be more than up to the job and I am a bit of a tightfisted sort so want to do it for the least amount possible.

This is something i'll have to look long and hard at.

Hi guys,

I was wondering whether the front stub axle assemblies from either a defender, RRC or Disco 1 could be retrofitted into a Series front axle to enable an easier disc brake fitting. Logically, the halfshafts would be wrong but could the series type be fitted or adapted to fit? :blink:

My first attempt was going down that route, since i had no problems with the shafts part............ but.................

You will have steering linkage problems, the same problems like when fitting a coiler axle to a leafer. So i went for the other option and made my own disc brake setup.

Anything can be done, its how much time/$$$$ are you willing to throw at it................

G

I saw the posts. That was some amount of work you did, well engineered.

You said i'd have steering linkage problems, i'm fitting a PAS system from a RRC (4 bolt) at the same time so what linkage problems are you talking about mate? Is it just the tir rod or are there more nightmares to look forward to? :lol:

This is for my Airportable. I would like to use her a lot more on the road but my major dislike is the brakes and lack of half way decent power. The suspension etc doesn't phase me. The power is easy enough but it's the brakes or lack there of that I really hate.

I saw the posts. That was some amount of work you did, well engineered.

You said i'd have steering linkage problems, i'm fitting a PAS system from a RRC (4 bolt) at the same time so what linkage problems are you talking about mate? Is it just the tir rod or are there more nightmares to look forward to? :lol:

This is for my Airportable. I would like to use her a lot more on the road but my major dislike is the brakes and lack of half way decent power. The suspension etc doesn't phase me. The power is easy enough but it's the brakes or lack there of that I really hate.

If you fit from the swivel outwards with coiler bits, than the track rod ends up at the rear of the axle, which puts it smack bang in the way of the leaf springs.......ah and probably the diff too, as coilers have thier diff pointing upwards...........

It can be solved, but there are very little elegant solutions.......................

G