CB vs GPS - Interference?

ThreeSheds

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before, I had a search around and can't find any info on this..

I am intending putting a GPS mouse on the roof of my RRC, and the best place would be within a couple of feet of the existing CB aerial. Now I know that transmitters can affect GPS (which is why my TomTom apparently thinks I am detouring through the fields as I go up the A1 north of Leeds past a big mast), but does anyone have any experience of how far apart you should keep the twig and the mouse?

Cheers,

Roger

p.s. OT, but if anyone knows why my Firefox spell-checker isn't working (it IS switched on) I am sure other readers of my posts would appreciate it too ;)

you sure its the big mast making your gps think you're in a field?

As my gps also thinks i'm in a field when going up past leeds on the new bit of the A1 link - but thats cos my mapset is a couple of years old and the new bit of road is not in the same place as it used to be!

My CB and GPS are sat next to each other on the dash and I don't have any problems. I don't have an external receiver for the GPS either, just the built in one.

I had my previous gps mouse on the roof but lost it while driving through branches, the new one is located on the bulkhead behind the seats and signal is strong enough. It's a Holux GR-213 usb Sirf-III

won't make any difference as the working frequencies are a long way from each other, I've various antenna on my 110's roof & don't get any cross band/frequency interfrence from any of them.

Thanks - that's the answer I was looing for :D

Agree with both Ralph and Nick. My GPS aerial is within about 6" of 20 watt UHF aerial on the light bar and I have a 100 watt HF aerial at back of the 110 and no problems with interference.

GPS is only as good as the mapping data it uses and if the maps are out of date then you can appear to be in a field rather then on a road. Also early mapping used in the UK and mapping abroad is not always 'accurate'

Also just because a 'road' appears on a sat nav does not mean it is a sealed road and is passable. Delivery driver coming to our place turned right onto the continuation of a nearby road which has a street sign on. Luckily he phoned up to ask if it was correct as it was a 'muddy track' otherwise known as our local green lane. A pleasant drive in a LR but not in a lorry.

Sat nav is for the guidance of the wise, not for the obedience of fools!

Regards

Brendan