Increasing insurance premiums

Rich_P

I've been getting some quotations today for the 2A 88. It appears that insurance rates have increased considerably in the past twelve months.

A year ago I got quotations of the following from these two companies:

NFU: £1,400 fully comprehensive,

NFU: £1,100 third party fire and theft,

Footman James: £1,200 fully comprehensive,

Footman James: £670 third party fire and theft.

Nearly twelve months on, these are the quotes I got from them this time:

NFU: £1,900 fully comprehensive,

NFU: £1,400 third party fire and theft,

Footman James: £1,600 fully comprehensive

Footman James: £830 third party fire and theft.

These are just a couple of examples of the increase in insurance premiums I'm faced with. What baffles me is that, I am a year older and have another year's driving experience, and I have had no claims/incidents nor are there any DVLA conditions on my licence. I also have Pass Plus, and I'm coming up to 20 years of age, yet the rates are going up!

I am aware that my postcode is listed as one of the highest risk postcodes in the UK, but it has been like that since before I started driving three years ago. So why are my premiums going through the roof? At a guess, is it a possibility that the insurance rates are interlinked with the banks and the country's complete collapse of its financial system?

I think (others on here could probably tell you for sure) that insurance companies make most of their money from investing the premiums - ie. their business model in the past has been to cover their costs with the premiums, the profit coming from investing the money while they hold it. With the current state of the financial markets this probably isn't working very well!

Yep, its all on the increase,, Just doing mine now

Been with Norwich Union for a good few years, maybe 12 ,,

Normally my premiums has been around the £7500-£8000, for the last 3/4 years !! This time the renewal is £9600, and they ain't budging, as yet !!! no change in circumstances !!

They are quoting all the reasons that Geoff ans Si mention above, plus the fact, they recon its been too cheap for years etc, and want to get the proper market price !!!

They are quoting all the reasons that Geoff ans Si mention above, plus the fact, they recon its been too cheap for years etc, and want to get the proper market price !!!

There is actually some truth in that. Contrary to popular belief, motor delivers the lowest return (highest loss ratio) of virtually all types of insurance. Premiums would have to rise significantly to bring in similar returns to other insurance types. Previously there has been a lot of competition previously which has kept premiums down. Now many of the underwriters are in trouble and they just cannot afford the low returns.

They are trying to shed the bad risk - or at least make it a better risk - by increasing premiums. This is very similar to what has happened in the mortgage market. I think we'll see an increasing difference between the cheapest and most expensive policies.

Persuading the insurance company that you are a low risk is going to become more important than what other companies are offering. If you are a poor risk, your insurer may be glad to be shot of you.

Si

mine seems to have stayed the same this year :) at £230 f/c for the disco.

Norwich Union quoted in the well unhappy territory - £960 fully comp for the same vehicle!!! Must be something to do with paying Bruce Willis and co to do the fancy ads.....

Norwich Union quoted in the well unhappy territory - £960 fully comp for the same vehicle!!!

Must be something to do with paying Bruce Willis and co to do the fancy ads.....

All that pointless corporate rebranding nonsense costs money - and it's the punter that's paying for it :(

They should have changed their name to - Robin B'Stard & Co. :lol: