Front axle dismantle

Hi everyone, i'm new to the site & looking for a little info into striping down the front axle (90 300tdi) does anyone have a step by step process that I can fellow.. pics would be a geat help as well, the haynes manual is a bit blunt in this specifed area for me anyway as i'm not that MECH minded & this is my first ownership of a landy.

Thanks

MaxxTraxx09 :D

post-16341-1240235103_thumb.jpg

I have a question; the other day I changed the oil in my front axle and what came out resembled black school custard. I'm assuming this is the axle trying to tell me it's full of swivel grease as well as EP90 - I can't think what else it can be. I reflled the axle, but I'm thinking I have to tackle at least one hub.Is there any trick to tell which hub is the culprit, or does one just do both? For instance, if you have the one shot grease, should it be visible at the filler or does it just disappear into the depths?

Nigel

There's a seal in the back of the swivel ball that's supposed to prevent oil/grease from migrating into the axle case from the swivel housing, which may be leaking. If you are going to strip the hubs/swivel housings down, then fill the swivels with engine oil and go for a short drive. The oil will mix with the grease and will then drain out easier.

If you are rebuilding the whole axle, then do it in 5 seperate sections - 2 hubs, 2 swivels, and differential. It can get confusing with a huge pile of bits on the bench.

Les.

old ep90 is often like treacle. I wouldnt worry about it.

If it comes out like mayonaise or silver/grey - then worry.

The stuff coming out was way more viscous than what went back in, and sort of lumpy - it took ages to drain. I think one or both of the inner seals Les mentioned has deceased, and the grease has gone exploring. I like the tip about putting in engine oil to rinse the one shot grease out though. I have to put new front discs on shortly, so at that point I think I might as well pay a visit to the swivels.

Nigel

The stuff coming out was way more viscous than what went back in, and sort of lumpy - it took ages to drain.

yep - you should have seen the ep90 that came out of my disco2 front axle! You could have made black playdough out of it! I would be very surprised if that oil had ever been changed in its 100k life!!! And it wasnt contamination from the swivels either, cos disco2 dont have a swivel - they have an open knuckle with a cv boot...

funnily enough, i think the extra viscosity of the old oil was keeping things going. Cos i refilled with ep90 and ran it for a day and then drained and refilled it with fresh again to make sure all the old gloop was gone. Since then its developed a whine under acceleration between 40-45 and 60-70. grrrrrrrrrrr.