What's this for?

On the disco engine I've put in my 90 there's a switch/sensor on the thermostat housing. Is it a switch/sensor for the fans? Just wondering if I could use it to wire in an electric fan?

Its the same as the twin pinned switch/sensor in this picture that I've stolen from the web......

post-7407-1240520765_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mick.

i was thinking of getting the top thermostat housing on my 200tdi drilled and tapped to take a switch, i didnt think that landrover might have already done it!

does anyone have an idea of how much one of those housings costs new? or am i better off looking for a second hand one?

On the disco engine I've put in my 90 there's a switch/sensor on the thermostat housing. Is it a switch/sensor for the fans? Just wondering if I could use it to wire in an electric fan?

Its the same as the twin pinned switch/sensor in this picture that I've stolen from the web......

Cheers

Mick.

Don't think it's adviseable to use a fan switch in this position. You'd find that the fan would be running most of the time because this will be one of the hottest points in the cooling system when the thermostat is open.

A fan switch normally goes about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the radiator. On retro fits, most people put them in the bottom hose with an adaptor like the one from X Engineering.

Regards,

Mark.

I did that exact modification (drilled and tapped the 'stat housing) I fitted a 93degC switch and have only seen the fans on once.

It's a lot better than the cr@p idea peddled by that well known fan manufacturer and a lot cheaper and neater IMHO than the X-fan thingy.

I keep meaning to put up some pics of my electric fan set-up,,,,,one day.

AD90