Hub Bearing ajustment

not had a proper look yet but tonight on my way home i started to hear a kind of wooshing noise now and again (not constant) coming from what i thought was the rear drivers side wheel, got home and had a tug at all the wheels and found some play in the drivers front wheel, theres defo a some play if i hold the top of the tyre and rock the rim in and out, and this is why its sat on the road and not jacked up.

i guess it will be a new bearing set needed but seem to remember they can just need a tighten up?, is it just a case of removing the lock nut and washer and giving the inner nut a tighten? i have the correct hub spanner..

cheers

is it just a case of removing the lock nut and washer and giving the inner nut a tighten? i have the correct hub spanner..

cheers

Not exactly.

With the wheel off the ground, lock nut and washer removed, tighten the bearing nut reasonably tightly. Then back the nut off about a 1/4 turn or until you can feel some play in the bearing. Then gradually tighten the nut until the play has been removed. Re-fit the lock washer and lock nut, job done.

HTH

Mark.

cheers for the replys.

i found today the front bearing was mangled and chewed up, i cant believe it wasnt screaming when driving, the problem i had was i couldnt get the hub off as the bearing race seemed to have welded to the stub axle, ended up removing it all from the swivel housing. a mate has it as his workshop and is going to try to get it apart, otherwise he thinks he has a spare so will stick that on instead..

cheers for the replys.

i found today the front bearing was mangled and chewed up, i cant believe it wasnt screaming when driving, the problem i had was i couldnt get the hub off as the bearing race seemed to have welded to the stub axle, ended up removing it all from the swivel housing. a mate has it as his workshop and is going to try to get it apart, otherwise he thinks he has a spare so will stick that on instead..

Very carefully grind the inner race away with an angle grinder until it's almost through then 1 sharp hit with a chisel will normally split it and enable you to get it off easily.

Mark.

yeah did try that but wouldnt budge, my mate has just poped round and he has striped it all down and found that the bearing race had welded it self solid on to the stub axle, good news is he had a spare so its now all made up and ill fit it tomorrow.

im lucky to have such good mates...

so you can just set these bearings by hand then?

I looked in the manual and it said to use a dial test guage on the hub to see how much end float there was...

how many owners have one of those in the garage, not many, the bearings can be set to minimal endfloat by hand, I do mine that way, not had a problem.

After a few goes, you will get the hang of what feels right. The official way is with the dial guage, but I prefer to do up the inner nut, then back off until there is a very slight amount of play (barely noticeable).

Then put the lock washer on, bend the tab over and fit the second nut. I find that one grunt with a reasonable sized screwdriver through the socket is plenty. DON'T FORGET to bend the opposite tab of the washer outwards over the locknut.

NB: Remember that you are doing this with the wheel off, so when it is all back together the wheel/tyre will amplify the 'play'.