I saw an interesting Land Rover today . . . .

Hello

I was out and about in rural Dorset today and spotted an interesting Land Rover that I hadn't seen before. I had to turn round and go back for a quick look! I wonder if any of you could identify its type, assuming of course it isn't a DIY one-off:

Leaf-sprung 109"

Khaki paintwork (I think the upper body is in cream colour, but for some reason I can't remember that detail!)

Stage 1 type front

Sliding windows in the doors, but the split is diagonal instead of vertical.

Rear tub looks a bit like a high capacity pick-up, but not quite (maybe it is!). Wider than standard body anyway.

Special roof and upper-half sides, including joining panelwork from behind the doors to the forward edge of the rear bodywork.

Upper side panels made from a distinctive corrugated panel, which is also used for the joining panelwork between the rear tub/roof and doors.

Ambulance-style above-cab bodywork with leading edge sloping backwards. I think that this panelling was corrugated too.

Substantial galvanized front bumper incorporating extra bars, with two large triangulation braces each side, running downwards and back towards chassis.

Q-registration.

What do you reckon?

Mike

:lol:

Wouldn't happen to know an offroad vehicle nutcase in Dorset by the name of Richard Watton by any chance Mike ? Has or had a LandRover 101, an Alvis Stalwart and a Leyland Martian. Currently owns a 6x6 Volvo C306 I think. Met him a couple of times during his various trips to OZ.

Bill.

I don't know him personally, but I might know who you mean. The vehicle collection sounds very familiar for someone who is a friend of a friend. I'll ask if it's the same person.

Incidentally, one of my friends used to own a Stalwart and I've been out to sea in it, which was an interesting voyage! :lol:

Mike

Yes, I thought it might be ex-army as they are often on Q-plates. It has a really interesting (to me anyway :lol ) body on it, so I was curious to find out more.

My friend's Stalward didn't like the sea very much. It caused havoc with just about everything that came into contact with it! :lol:

Mike

Yes, I thought it might be ex-army as they are often on Q-plates. It has a really interesting (to me anyway :lol ) body on it, so I was curious to find out more.

My friend's Stalward didn't like the sea very much. It caused havoc with just about everything that came into contact with it! :lol:

Mike

For nearly 40 years I'd always wanted a Stalwart, until I did some research and learnt a bit more about them. It turns out that they were an unreliable maintenance nightmare. I don't know if any saw real action, when the enemy were shooting back, but I think they would have been more of a liability to military operations rather than a useful piece of kit.

Bill.

I think the army used to remove the swim gear from the Stalwarts before they were released for sale. My friend went to great lengths to gather all the missing bits from his one to get it 'seaworthy'. There seems to be quite a few fully-equipped ones around now, but at the time I think his one was quite unusual in being complete.

It was a bit of a pain to look after :lol:

Mike

DSCF5804-800.jpg

DSCF5803-800.jpg

I was passing again yesterday, so I took a couple of quick photographs. I couldn't capture the side panel detail in the first shot, but the second one is okay.

Now I've had a chance to have a look I can see it's a Series III (military?) with high capacity pick-up, a special top and roof, a later front and God knows what else! Looks really handy!

I'm intrigued by the diagonal split on the sliding windows. I think I've only ever seen those once before, on a Series III 109 station wagon.

Mike

Thanks for clearing up the sliding window mystery! :lol:

I like the hard top in particular. It looked well made. I wonder if it might be something that was made by an aftermarket supplier.

It appears to be leaf sprung at the rear and coil sprung at the front.

I believe your correct, if the photo is saved & enlarged in windows paint, it's possible to see the front axle radius arm behind the front wheel to the chassis bracket.

definitly a strange beast.

Guest noggy

those rear lights arnt original either are they.

as western said it could be a prototype truckman top or even a similar brand such as "trucktop".

interesting thing tho being a leafer on the rear.

why don't you stick a note on the windscreen with your phone number on next time your passing the owner might be quite happy to have a chat about it with you

I don't like bothering people in that way, plus I thought the car was a good topic for discussion here. :)

Guest noggy
I don't like bothering people in that way, plus I thought the car was a good topic for discussion here. :)

but seriously now... id be quite interested!

go on, you know you want to!!