panic on motorway

Im driving on the motorway earlier today doing about 50mph all of a sudden everything cuts out on me , luckily i manage to get onto the hard shoulder,i turn the key again , nothing , i turn it again then it wants to go but wont , i call out the AA and the guy takes the rocker cover off and says theres no movement in there and it might be something to do with the crank , im totally lost , anyone any ideas please ?

If its making a cranking noise but wont fire, and the rockershaft isnt moving, then the most likely culprit is the timing belt.

If its not doing anything, i dont see why the AA guy lifted the rocker cover at all...

Its a 200tdi , if it was the timing belt , is it a difficult job to do guys ?

Not difficult no. Crank Pulley can sometimes be a bit of a biatch to get off and a puller is useful, easily made though. There are a few special tools for locking the flywheel, injection pump and camshaft pulleys but they're not an absolute must, you can use drill bits or make your own. Do a search on here in the tech forum, there's been a thread posted which explains how to do it.

HTH,

Regards,

Many thanks Mate

Forgot to say that you will need to check your push rods and valves. They sometimes get bent when the timing belt goes, due to pistons and valves coming into contact.

It's usually the push rods that go but valves have been known to bend too. I think the valves don't usually go because they are perpendicular to the pistons so contact is directly in line with the valve stem. Weakest link is the push rod, hence that is what normally goes.

Regards,

Mark.

Thanks for letting me know , ive got a guy coming to look at it tonight so ill get the full sp then :(

Hi there,

This is on the and Rover Tech Archive - it looks like every thing you need and more - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=42950.

Hope it helps, would be good to know from another novice as I will be doing it soon my self. Sorry if you're a novice

Happy landings

its fairly simple to repair the damage, i had the belt go on my 300tdi 3 days before setting off for glastonbury festival a few years back,

needed a few new pushrods and 2 rocker arms and the belt replacing. Simon Services in wakefield put his other work on hold amd sorted me out that same day and it was driving fine by the end of the afternoon!

Ok, cost me £200 - but you dont get much change from 200 notes for a garage to change a timing belt change on its own, never mind replacing pushrods etc.

200TDi doesn't usually do anything more than bend the pushrods - 300Tdi's sometimes snap a rocker and occasionally the shaft itself. I've never come across any other damage on this engine - pistons are vertical to the piston crown, so the rods take it all and just bend. No need to remove the head or any other such rubbish. New timing belt KIT and a set of pushrods (they are about £3 each), will sort it out 99% of the time. About £100 in parts and roughly 4-5 hours labour and your engine will be fine once again.

Les.

Something to consider: We do a lot of work on Transits. Very rarely do we replace bent pushrods, just straighten them out in the vice. Never had any related problems after doing this, all have gone on to do many more thousands of miles.