Chrome Swivel Housing Balls (Series IIa)

TonkaIIa

I'd worry about the 1 shot - the needle rollers in the UJs need a fair bit of lubrication.

The army used to use leather gaiters over the swivels, my Ltwt has them, and the balls are spotless.

My argument against greece is getting water back out of the hub? But if you don't wade, then one shot seems the logical stuff :)

Body filler for me too. It isn't just the challace cost, but all the bearings as well. Bottom half of chrome was okay ish, and top was pitted, so why not join the yota boys with a bit of modern two pack tech?

Call it a step up from just throwing seals at it. And a chance to free off all the bolts if it doesn't work ;)

I-shot works well in Series swivels - it's not limited to coilers. I also favour gaiters - they prevent stone damage to the chrome, and the subsequent rusting, and keep dirt off the seal preventing seal abrasion. As long as they're not holed, allowing mud to enter and become trapped, they're highly beneficial.

• 4 years later...

Tonkalla used some plastic coating baked on and it sounds good. What is it. Can the product bname be e mailed to me ? Tantalising to know it is there but not what it is.

I run an Austin Gipsy (the thinking mans Land Rover) as well as a Defender. The Gipsy balls are about 40% bigger and pit just like LR ones . The difference of course is no replacements available. Seals are difficult to find too. Have a set of balls to resurface now so the coating and where to get it done are vital.

• 4 years later...