Roof Racks

Im after a roof rack to hold my spare tyre and some tracmats. Its for a 90. I want something 'cheap' no more that £200 and would like a rear ladder too. I have seen the roof racks from Craddocks for £170ish, and First Four do 3 roof bars for £170ish too. Any experiance with these?

Cheers.

Get a fully welded galvanised type not a pack flat bolt together one - they tend to fall to bits with a spare wheel on. Roof bars are probably under specified for permanently carrying a spare wheel as well, unless they are a lot stronger than my Thule ones.

I'd sooner get a second hand Brownchurch within your budget than a new cheapy.

I'd sooner get a second hand Brownchurch

Seconded. B) I've had mine for years, in fact the previous owner put it on. He used it for a roof tent for a trip to Morocco.

Now the spare lives on it, it gets walked on, has had 11 kayaks on it, stuff gets dropped on it, including big tree branches a few times. No dents, no rust, looks like new.

Well worth the money.

if you have a big wheel it raises the centre of gravity to have it on the roof and the max weight stated is 75kg, a rack and wheel will go over this. Ok, so nobody pays any attention to that figure but i thought maybe worth a mention.

I too would say get a brownchurch or fully welded galvy one, i got a genuine galvy one for £50 second hand so they are out there.

Dave

The First Four bars are nicely made, I picked up my bumper/winch direct from their premises and they had the bars on their 110. They fit much better than a cheap roofrack as they sit very close to the roof line.

Brownchurch racks are tough but they aren't exactly close fitting! Most ali racks are stupidly priced and they go for big money on ebay too.

Another vote for Brownchurch - mine is mearly 20 years old and good as new. Carries the spare wheel and garden sheds, wardrobes and any other big junk i chuck up there to carry around (i am aware of the 70 kg weight limit!).

I just gave a Brownchurch away for nothing!

Brownchurch are brilliant bits of kit, but I needed the best roof rack available (was that a can of worms?) so got myself a Patriot to replace it with. They cost a hell of a lot more than a Brownchurch, but are well worth it.

Even secondhand, you would still be looking at several hundred pictures of the Queen for one!

If you only need it for a spare wheel and trac mats, and occasionally the odd bit of stuff that needs shifting, then a Patriot would probably be overkill.

I would certainly get a Brownchurch if i was in the same position. Keep a look out, they come up fairly often and usually under your £200 budget :)

HTH

Martin