Which cooling fan ?

kingdong2

Hi guys

as many of you know i have a 200 tdi fitted to my s11a swb which i fitted last summer for the past year i have been running it without a cooling fan but with the intention of fitting one later anyway last week and the start of the hot weather my bro decided to buy a second hand caravan and asked me to go with him and pick it up and tow it with my landy as he has never towed anything with his landy ( s11a swb petrol ) so we drove from his house in stockport to macclesfield driving there was ok but driving back to his towing the caravan ( 14ft castleton ) the temp gauge rows between cold and normal where as it normaly stays just outside the cold ( motorway. climbing hills. or town driving ) but didn't go any higher so obviously i need to fit a cooling fan many years ago i fitted an electric cooling fan from a D reg pug 305 to my then s111 petrol which worked fine but don't think there will be any of those in scrap yards now does anyone know what car i need to look for in a scrap yard for a fan that will fit in front of the radiator and good enough to cool the tdi.

cheers graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

I have a BMW Air Conditioning "pusher" fan. It covers the radiator and moves LOTS of air. It also has the resistor for high and low speed operation. My 200TDI runs cool enough that it never gets used. I spin it up from time to time just to keep it operational. :)

post-6141-1246688978_thumb.jpg

I have a BMW Air Conditioning "pusher" fan. It covers the radiator and moves LOTS of air. It also has the resistor for high and low speed operation. My 200TDI runs cool enough that it never gets used. I spin it up from time to time just to keep it operational. :)

cheers for that rj what model of bmw was it from looks great.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

One question: Is your temperature gauge right? If you've just dropped the 200TDi in with the Series temp gauge, reading "normal" could mean the thing's boiling. I'm not familiar with the conversion so don't know how close the senders are electrically, but it's worth knowing what the score is.

One question: Is your temperature gauge right? If you've just dropped the 200TDi in with the Series temp gauge, reading "normal" could mean the thing's boiling. I'm not familiar with the conversion so don't know how close the senders are electrically, but it's worth knowing what the score is.

yeah its running a s11a petrol sender unit and a brand new 200tdi rad with disco header tank.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

yeah its running a s11a petrol sender unit and a brand new 200tdi rad with disco header tank.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

forgot to say it normally stays just outside the cold but with towing the caravan it rows to slap bang in the middle of cold and normal.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

The fan is from a K reg 740 BMW. The fans were also used in the 5 series BMW. From what I have found, they were used in the 88-95 BMW 5 & 7 series with air conditioning. We have a K reg 7 series that needed a new A/C condensing unit... I spent more than a bit of time in my local scrappy. Really easy to fit as well.

The fan is from a K reg 740 BMW. The fans were also used in the 5 series BMW. From what I have found, they were used in the 88-95 BMW 5 & 7 series with air conditioning. We have a K reg 7 series that needed a new A/C condensing unit... I spent more than a bit of time in my local scrappy. Really easy to fit as well.

cheers for that there is an area in bury ( manchester ) where there is about 10 scrap yards all next door to each other so should get one from there this morning.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

Graham, Another thing I forgot to add. The voltage stabilizer for my gauges recently went bad. My temp gauge started climbing and it appeared that the truck was overheating. My fuel guage has never been accurate so I did not notice a change on that one. After changing thermostats, verifying that the radiator was good, and using the cooling fan, I decided to check the stabilizer... Turns out the output was 11.76 volts. It should be 10 volts! I replaced it with a 7810 electronic voltage regulator and it cured my "overheating". My guages now read accurate. Yours may be fine, but I would check that the voltage stabilizer for the gauges is good before "fixing" other things that aren't broke.

thanks for that about the voltage stabilizer i think mine are working ok. i managed to get a coolong fan from a citreon xsara seams to fill the front of the rad allowing room for brackets.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

I have a BMW Air Conditioning "pusher" fan.

Beware that this is not a pusher fan, mounted like this it rotates in the wrong direction (clockwise). No problem in our climate as the fan gets very little use. Unless you are stuck in a traffic jam in mid summer.

Beware that this is not a pusher fan, mounted like this it rotates in the wrong direction (clockwise). No problem in our climate as the fan gets very little use. Unless you are stuck in a traffic jam in mid summer.

the citroen xsara fan i bought today rotates clockwise and was fitted in front of the rad on the xsara as it will be on the landy.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

ok, dont know about that fan, but the fan at the image above is supposed to rotate counterclockwise.

Shinias, I'm not a BMW engineer, or a fan engineer so I can't speak to why BMW mounted my fan in front of the BMW A/C condenser to spin Clockwise as a pusher fan. It may be a more efficient unit rotating the other way... but it moves an incedible amount of air in current configuration. I just transplanted it to a little series truck to keep the radiator cool. It seems to be able to do that. Thanks for the info though.

If your temp guage only ever gets between cold and normal, I can't see why you need a fan at all as it's still within the safe range. I don't think you need a whopping-great fan anyway if you feel you must have one. If you feel you need to fit one for the odd occasion when the temerature rises, then a smaller one would do the job well.

Les.

Shinias, I'm not a BMW engineer, or a fan engineer so I can't speak to why BMW mounted my fan in front of the BMW A/C condense
As far as I can see at the attached image, if the fan spins in the correct direction, which is counterclockwise, it will be sucking, not pushing air through the radiator.

Modern fan design have strange blades like this, less noise and more effective.

http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/images/fan2.swf

As far as I can see at the attached image, if the fan spins in the correct direction, which is counterclockwise, it will be sucking, not pushing air through the radiator.

Modern fan design have strange blades like this, less noise and more effective.

http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/images/fan2.swf

Im new to this forum and havent introduced myself yet, but im getting to be a tdi conversion expert, having completed 4 now, and starting on my own 109 too.

In my 88, i have an independant temp gauge aswell as the Series gauge. Normally, the needle sits just below the top of the white, and this equates to 60degreesC. If it covers the N, then it equates to about 85degreesC.

I have towed with the 88, in summer sun, and never used my fan, and i have climbed the Dinas Mawydd Pass on the hottest day of the year without going over 95degreesC, begining to wonder why i fitted it...

Yesterday, with my new rangie diff fitted, i pushed her up the M6 at over 70mph, and she barely crept over the white. I have a standard Series rad, no expansion tank, and no intercooler.

I'd fit a Durite Electric temp gauge from Vehicle Wiring Products, and not bother with a fan until you are sure how hot she is really getting.

Ray,

correct me if I'm wrong but the highest edge on the fan blades is on the right side and the lowest edge is on the left??

If that is so, then the fan does as you already stated rotates clockwise, the higher edge grabs or pulls the air into the fan and the lower edge pushes it out the other side (the back). I'm assuming that is what I can see in the picture above. :unsure:

Man that is one huge fan, it must push ridiculous amounts of air through the radiator. Like Graham I have a smaller Citreon fan that suits my driving well.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?act=atta...st&id=23218

Todd.

Ray,

correct me if I'm wrong but the highest edge on the fan blades is on the right side and the lowest edge is on the left??

If that is so, then the fan does as you already stated rotates clockwise, the higher edge grabs or pulls the air into the fan and the lower edge pushes it out the other side (the back). I'm assuming that is what I can see in the picture above. :unsure:

Man that is one huge fan, it must push ridiculous amounts of air through the radiator. Like Graham I have a smaller Citreon fan that suits my driving well.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?act=atta...st&id=23218

Todd.

Todd,

you are seeing the fan correct. And yes, it does move massive amounts of air. It just happened to be a spare from my wife's BMW that I had kicking about. I don't have a need to use it, at least not here in the UK with the modest temperatures. I will eventually move to warmer climates and want to have it available if needed. I intend to use my 88 off road for hunting/fishing/camping, and the places I like to visit are often off the beaten path requiring low range 4 wheel drive with moderate RPM and slow speed. If the ambient air temp is approx 35 degrees Centigrade, it would be nice to know that I have a fan to move air past the intercooler and radiator to keep the engine temp down where it should be. I would rather have too much fan, than not enough. :rolleyes: Here's an updated pic with the intercooler installed in the radiator panel

post-6141-1247150566_thumb.jpg

Todd,

you are seeing the fan correct. And yes, it does move massive amounts of air. It just happened to be a spare from my wife's BMW that I had kicking about. I don't have a need to use it, at least not here in the UK with the modest temperatures. I will eventually move to warmer climates and want to have it available if needed. I intend to use my 88 off road for hunting/fishing/camping, and the places I like to visit are often off the beaten path requiring low range 4 wheel drive with moderate RPM and slow speed. If the ambient air temp is approx 35 degrees Centigrade, it would be nice to know that I have a fan to move air past the intercooler and radiator to keep the engine temp down where it should be. I would rather have too much fan, than not enough. :rolleyes: Here's an updated pic with the intercooler installed in the radiator panel

yeh my citroen fan is of similar size to yours and i would amagine it will spin freely when the fan isn't swiched on so would help to keep the rad cool anyway.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

If you have enough air passing through the radiator to spin the fan, it will keep the rad cool. If hot days return like we had in 2006, you "may" need to turn the fan on in stop and go traffic, but I think the original radiators cool pretty well on their own.

My wrecking yard search yielded a pusher fan from a V8 Mercedes that is the largest diameter that will fit in front of a radiator in the radiator bulkhead area.

gr_radfan.jpg

Of course I have a relay handling the power, a temperature switch in the core fins to trigger the fan when the temperature gets high enough and a switch in series with that so I can turn off the fan for a water crossing.

In case you are curious about that sliver thing behind the fan:

gr_radfit.jpg

It is a custom aluminum cross flow radiator which in turn cools a 1970 Mustang 302 (5.0L) V8 with 1991 Mustang fuel injection.