Suggestions for lightweight materials

Eightpot

Hi all - just picked up an old LWB rangie ambulance that I will be modifying for a spot of overlanding.

The first thing I've noticed is that it ways TONS and rolls like buggery, even with new HD suspension and helper springs at the back.

There is a fair bit of steel and gubbins I can take out of the back to help matters, but I suspect a major contributor is the floor - as far as I make make out, the rear ambulance floor (this is on a stretched 110 wheelbase) is made of a sandwich of a thin possibly aluminium sub plate, a thick peice of marine-ply, possibly upto 3/4" thick and then lino on top. It measures about 7' x 5' God knows what it would all weigh, but I reckon I could make a huge weight saving by replacing it with a more modern material. It's a 1981 model, so I'm sure the floor is going to be a bit manky by now anyway, so seems a good idea.

I also intend to replace the V8 with a TDi, so getting the weight down to a managable level is going to be important.

One possibility that has crossed my mind is using twinwall polycarbonate roof sheeting, with just a thin layer of ply on top to give some wear protection and stop it cracking or going through if I'm wearing high heels :ph34r: not sure how strong this would be or if heat could be a problem though.

Anyone got any ideas or done anything similar? Are there any modern lightweight board materials available that would be suitable?

Also looking for a lighter bonnet if possible - I've seen GRP Rangie bonnets mentioned somewhere in the past, but can't find anywhere that sells them?

While the floor as described (3/4" marine ply) will be heavy, I would have thought it low enough down to aid stability rather than fight it.

As a sideways look, what vehicle are you comparing it with?

Are you used to how standard Classics feel on the road?

What weight is there above floor level?

I'd get rid of the "fair bit of steel and gubbins" before worrying too much about the floor.

Also try and check out it's true condition before making a decision. I doubt that replacing it will be cheap.

Your polycarbonate idea sounds lethal, whatever your footwear.

Good luck

I doubt the weight of the plywood on the floor is causing the roll. It is really low down and not as heavy as any steel that may be higher up.

The roll would be caused by the high centre of gravity and the roll centre of the suspension design. Up rating the suspension spring rate won't change that but adding an anti roll bar, or increasing the rate of the one you have, would do.

If it were me I would probably not be thinking of removing the floor material. What ever you change it to, and the stuff used by Ifor Williams is good, will weigh just as much if you want it to be up to the job of being a working floor. Here is some for sale on Ebay in Scotland. Ask the seller to weigh a sheet if you want to know how much it weighs. ;)

If you are driving on an overland expedition then stuff will be bouncing on the floor and the impact strength of the floor will be important.

Thanks for all the above -

I'm not directly comparing it to anything handling wise, I know any Rangie rolls a lot, but this does roll more than I was hoping and I'd like to reduce it.

On the way back from collecting it, I had a little go to see what she'd do on the motorway, as you do :rolleyes: - sh@t myself when it got to 90mph as it was starting to feel a bit wrong, and pulled my foot off the accelerator and it then started to snake fairly alarmingly till I put some gas back on :o me no likey..

It was choc full of ambo gear tho, but even empty it wallows round bends much more than I'd like, and more than I was expecting. And yes, I know I'm a silly man :)

An AR bar may be the way forward as suggested - but body roll is only one reason I want to strip any unneccesary weight out. I'd like to go TDi but still have a responsive car - I think it can be done with some thought. The V8 pulls nice but not viable for me, and I'm concerned that going from a high compression 3.5 to TDi will transform the car into something that handles like a pig, and goes like a dead pig.

Plywood maybe the only answer, and perhaps using a thinner section - all kit will be stowed in bolted down lockers, as I don't like gear bouncing round - also I'm sure I don't need that thickness of timber to support my lithe and athletic physique :ph34r:

Increasing spring rate WILL reduce roll, at the expense of ride quality, however the idea of a antiroll bar is to reduce roll, while keeping the soft roadsprings.

My first step would be to try some ARB's. You've already fitted some HD suspension, so the ARB's is the next step.