Fake Winches

cieranc

One of our winches got damaged the other day, through mis-use by the operator. One of the hydraulic pipes got knocked off the top, and the aluminium ID plate was ripped off. It's a Bushey Hall RPH8000 winch.

The pipe was an easy fix, we have a hand crimper to put a new end on the hose without removing the pipe from the chassis.

Today I rang RED for a replacement plate, as the serial numbers and SWL's were on it. They directed me to Bushey Hall's head office. Rang them, they said Bushey Hall America won't sell the plates due to the number of fake winches available (mostly on everyone's favourite den of inequity Ebay).

Apparently there's a huge amount of low quality, fake winches being sold off as genuine BH jobbies, and for that reason they won't sell me (or anyone else for that matter) a replacement ID plate. I offered to fax them the original certs supplied with the winch when new, but they wouldn't budge!

So if you're shopping for a winch, be sure you're getting the real thing!

buy another better supported make instead, i.e. Superwinch or Warn.

on a similar note, my front mounted Husky didn't have a id plate, after a talking to the guys at Superwinch Tavistock, they confirmed all the build date/swl/wire rope diameter & model number & sold me a blank id plate with fixings, so I could engrave the details myself & fit it to my winch, top service I think :i-m_so_happy:

Thats the problem though, by supplying the blank plates it's making it easier for the toerags selling off carp counterfeit goods. Right enough your's is genuine, but how difficult would it be to blag some plates from Superwinch or Warn?

BH's approach to the problem is to not supply the plates at all.

Do be realistic! Surely it's not just me that can see that any company who can copy a whole winch isn't going to think twice about screen printing their own copy of the ID plate?

Perhaps it's me and someone is making copies one at a time and phoning Bushey Hall for the ID plate to finish it off. :blink:

It's time we started giving the Chinese a bit more credit. :rtfm:

Yeah, you're right enough, it can't be that hard making plates.

The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree they're being awkward. I have the original CoC, test certs with the serial number on and the damaged plate. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could probably find the original sales reciept too!

Come on Ramsey/Bushey Hall, sort it out :)

this is rather worrying though, i am not looking for a winch, but it highlights any product really, you could just as easily get a crappy version of a.... well anything, even a hole land rover, take the honda crossorad for instance what was that lol.

mikey

Do be realistic! Surely it's not just me that can see that any company who can copy a whole winch isn't going to think twice about screen printing their own copy of the ID plate?

Perhaps it's me and someone is making copies one at a time and phoning Bushey Hall for the ID plate to finish it off. :blink:

Here is a little theory... its actually quite common, a lot of the 'knock off' stuff from China inst actaully 'knock off'. A factory will contract manufacture, a winch for example and fill whatever orders they have from the design owner they will then keep on producing the winch, somethimes known as Sunday production. It is possible that the design owner controls the inventory/supply of ID plates etc to make it harder for the factory to sell real knock offs as opposed to unbranded knock offs

Guest otchie1
Here is a little theory... its actually quite common, a lot of the 'knock off' stuff from China inst actaully 'knock off'. A factory will contract manufacture, a winch for example and fill whatever orders they have from the design owner they will then keep on producing the winch, somethimes known as Sunday production. It is possible that the design owner controls the inventory/supply of ID plates etc to make it harder for the factory to sell real knock offs as opposed to unbranded knock offs

Even more likely in this climate is a company that likes people to think every other winch that they might buy is somehow 'inferior' or 'dangerous' so they better make sure they always buy brand new from an authorised main agent. Maximum fear, maximum profit.

Oh yeah I get it, like the "Genuine Fake" clothing you buy in Turkey ???

Same clothing made on the same production line as the originals, just sold out the back door.

get it right bushey hall probably have the chinise make them for them and put their plates on the winch in house.

but now someone will be buying them direct from tiwan and selling them on as bushey hall (which they probably are) and bushey hall are ticked off because theyre no longer the middle man bumping up the price!

all businesses are doing it, when i left cummins turbos they were top and tailing turbo cores on our lines (all parts from china), then putting a holset badge on them saying 'made in britain'! wise up, were all buying cheap sh@te in a fancy box with a nice sticker!

Oh yeah I get it, like the "Genuine Fake" clothing you buy in Turkey ???

Same clothing made on the same production line as the originals, just sold out the back door.

Yip thats the one, its quite common, usually without the branding though

It may well be that you purchased a "grey import" ,this tinkles off the official importers as they make nothing , rather than having the brains to help you and make money from the parts , they are sour grapes and wont help ,I've seen this with car and motorcycle imports , the clever official agents are pleased to help and make more money .

Rgds