Rotating Track Rod End

:unsure: I have been trying hard to get the castle nut on the TRE but it keeps on rotating. Have scratched head many times to find a way but seem to get nowhere. I resorted to swearing to no avail. Any methods at getting the nut on?

(Got it mounted on the truck but when screwing it on, the rotation starts)

post-7610-1247127335_thumb.jpg

Easy job if you have a compressor and whizzy gun.

I assume you don't so you can try pulling it down in to the socket, I would use a ratchet strap to pull in to place and put pressure on it. If you can't use ratchet stap try a long bar to lever downward pressure.

Is the thread ok, on both parts?

It should be easier if you use a flat nut ( or castleated (sp)) instead of a nylock.

Hope this is some help.

Andy

Put the TRE in the hole, start the nut, get an assistant and a large pry bar wedged between the steering bar and hub, as if you were forcing the TRE out of the hole, then get busy on the nut with a large ratchet. If it still spins, get a bigger bar / stronger assistant.

:huh: Stev and Dave, nice advice'!! I will get on it tonight. Glad to get more tricks and get the TRE on. Still cycling due to the nut not getting to place.

Hi Dan,

Be careful! I can see in your picture that you do not have a clamp around the outer end of the tube. This is where the splits in the tube are, and the clamps serve to make sure that the tube grips the threaded portion of the balljoint. A significant amount of strength is lost if you don't put the clamps in the right place. It is possibly an MOT failure anyway, but above all else, it is potentially very dangerous!

Take care....

Regards,

Diff

Easy job if you have a compressor and whizzy gun.

Hope this is some help.

Andy

Good luck with it won't add anymore suggestion on how to do it!! But will say if like above no compressor & wizzy gun?? Invest in a battery gun you can pick some decent ones up now quite cheap and they save you alot of time!!

Hi Dan,

Be careful! I can see in your picture that you do not have a clamp around the outer end of the tube. This is where the splits in the tube are, and the clamps serve to make sure that the tube grips the threaded portion of the balljoint. A significant amount of strength is lost if you don't put the clamps in the right place. It is possibly an MOT failure anyway, but above all else, it is potentially very dangerous!

Take care....

Regards,

Diff

Hi KK Mobile

I corrected the position of the clamps. Thanks for seeing that and mentioning it. And I did get the nut in place. Thanks for the wonderful advice

Good luck with it won't add anymore suggestion on how to do it!! But will say if like above no compressor & wizzy gun?? Invest in a battery gun you can pick some decent ones up now quite cheap and they save you alot of time!!

I just ordered a battery gun Andy. Thanks for that too!! Pics of how I got it sorted!!

post-7610-1247380037_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1247380073_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1247380106_thumb.jpg