lockers

stewy1984

i've just been offerd a pair of defender axles with 10 spline arb locker's with compressor. for £400.

is this a good price? if i was to go for them, i'd have to take them off myself. so apart from the axles, compressor and air lines, what else should there be that i'd need to take off?

Cant go wrong for that money, they usually sell for that much each, at least.

You can if locked 10 spline axles can not stand up to your driving. I gave up on 10 spline axles after breaking 7 rears, one front and twisting one front. All but the twisted front was done with a 2.25L petrol engine over a 20 year period.

Why is the current owner giving them up? A gift horse that turns out to have laminitis isn't much of a gift

Now a set of 24 spline ARB's would be quite nice.

You can if locked 10 spline axles can not stand up to your driving. I gave up on 10 spline axles after breaking 7 rears, one front and twisting one front. All but the twisted front was done with a 2.25L petrol engine over a 20 year period.

Why is the current owner giving them up? A gift horse that turns out to have laminitis isn't much of a gift

Now a set of 24 spline ARB's would be quite nice.

Rubbish - lockers have been around a lot longer than hardened shafts and it just means you temper your driving style as the heavy right foot is no longer needed, there are probably some hardened 10 spline shafts lurking anyway, possibly even in the axles the OP is considering,.

10 spline shafts are no weaker in real operation than 24 spline (standard) shfats - i know this frome experience as do many others.

Rubbish - lockers have been around a lot longer than hardened shafts and it just means you temper your driving style as the heavy right foot is no longer needed, there are probably some hardened 10 spline shafts lurking anyway, possibly even in the axles the OP is considering,.

Perhaps where you come from the purpose of installing lockers is to allow you to drive the same places with less effort and stress on individual axles. Where I come from people usually don't install lockers unless they intend to go places where the extra traction is needed and you would not make it with open diffs, such as technical rock crawling. If you are braking axles & carriers already, the ARB is a strong carrier but you are still going to overstress stock axles. Especially if you drive into situations that Lockers will allow you transverse that you couldn't with open diffs. There is a lot of stress generated when one wheel is in the air and its opposite member is taking the full output of your engine. All I'm suggesting is that with greater capability comes greater temptation to use that capability and overstress the axles. The 10 spline and factory standard 24 spline coiler axle usually are not up to that kind of stress. A Salisbury 24 spline can handle extra stress and specialty 24 spline axles are generally much stronger than both the standard factory coiler 24 spline axles and the Salisbury axles. Going to 24 spline provides a strength upgrade path that is only very limited for 10 spline axles. And it never hurts to understand why the seller is selling and what he is using instead.

I think my mistake in my original posting was not mentioning that if you upgrade to lockers and intend to use the extra capability that you should upgrade to 24 spline lockers BECAUSE it provides a pathway to stronger axles that 10 splines do not have. And if you intend to drive your truck aggressively that it is a very good idea to upgrade both the differential and the axles. Lockers are of very limited use if you do not upgrade the axles too. The exception being the Salisbury.

10 spline shafts are no weaker in real operation than 24 spline (standard) shfats - i know this frome experience as do many others.

"Rubbish" is such a strong categorical denial. But first please realize I am a Series owner and when I think 24 spline axle I think Salisbury axles and specialty axles that are specifically made to be much stronger than stock coiler 24 spline axles. I normally talk axles with other Series owners.

I agree that 10 spline Land Rover axles and the standard 24 spline coiler axles have similar strengths. The standard factory 24 spline coiler axles are probably no more than 5% stronger than the 10 spline axles. However stock Salisbury 24 spline axles are a different design and tend to be about 25% stronger than than the standard coiler 24 spline axles.

There are two different designs of Rover 24 splines and the durability differs significantly between the two. One 24 spline type is used on the later RRC, Disco 1 and both Defender 90 ends and D110/130 fronts. The second type are the Salisbury and optional HD 24 spline rears found on US spec D90's and some Discovery 1's such as the Camel Trophy Discoverys. I don't know if they were actually offered as an official optional upgrade.

The first (standard coiler axle) is a one piece design (integral drive flange). They are a waisted design, with a lower heat treat level. They fatigue by permanently twisting along the entire length of the shaft, sometimes up to 720 degrees plus. When they finally break the integral flange usually pops off.

The Salisbury/HD Rovers are a non waisted design but they are heat treated to a higher level. These are the stronger of the two different

Land Rover 24 splines although both should be upgraded if you are planning on a lot of aggressive off roading with fully locking

differentials on high traction surfaces. Neither will hold up under these conditions. When they break, they fatigue and twist at the diff

splines and break exactly like Series 10 splines. This is because they are a non-waisted design and hence the twisting stress is concentrated

on the smallest part of the shaft, the minor spline diameter.

id buy them streight off.

keep one 10 spline for the front, sell the other and then keep your eyes open for a cheap 24 spline for the back.

fit AEU2522 CVs and GKN half shafts in the front, then fit a set of heavy duty 24 spline shafts in the back from one of the many suppliers abouts.

your axles will then be quite strong.

Not wanting to put a dampener on proceedings, but a pair of 24 spline axles with ARB's and compressor for £400?

I am starting to think they might be a tad hot...? :unsure: Either that or the vendor really does not know what he is selling.....

Do you know the chap in question and where the axles have come from?

I would urge caution and make sure you are happy that they are legit, then bite his arm off!

• 2 weeks later...

So i finally got the axles off and stripped down. few f**ked stub axles and maybe the cv's .

can anyone tell me what type they are? the rear crown wheel and pinion are chipped, so i want that rebuilt.

rear

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

front, seems different. allen head bolts

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0026-3.jpg

also i saw a post on here, now i cant find it. someone had changed the air line fittings to accept 6mm pipe with a push in connector at the diff end?