Windows ??

Tom.H

Hi

I have a set of lowered/cut down series windows.

I am not very familiar with the older land rovers and as a result I am not exactly sure what series they are of (I am thinking series 3). I just wondered if anyone could confirm from my pictures whether I am correct or not?

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00238-1.jpg

Also, the windows currently have no glass in them. Before I look at getting some plastic windows cut out I just wondered if it is even possible to replace the glass in a normal window (I am struggling to see how it can be done)

Thanks

Tom

Those areseries 3 door tops.

The glass is easily replaceable. You'll need all the fittings, window channels, clamping strips etc. See the series parts book for it all.

You'd be better off getting toughened glass cut to suit, as plastic scratches too easily and very quickly goes opaque cos of the scratches.

Jon

the glass is very easy to remove and put back. It sits in runners that screw to the bottom, you theninsert the glass with the top runner pushed ontop and place the bottom in the lower runner and angle the top into the door (if that makes any sense). Then by sliding the rear piece back and forwards you can access all the screw holes to screw the upper runner to the top of the door frame. The fixed piece is simply "glued" to the door frame. Most glaziers would be able to cut a piece of glass suitable for you. Don't bother with perspex as said, it goes opaque very quickly

Dave

Thanks for your help

As you might be able to see from the pictures I've currently got no window locks, sliders or seals.

I've had a look on paddock4x4 and have found the window locks but I am not exactly sure were to find the sliders or seals.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/SERIES/Bod...with_thumb.html

I just wondered if anyone could help me out. Also is there anything else I need along with these 3 components

Cheers

Tom

Ok … I've come up with the follow list. If I've forgotten anything or have something which is unnecessary could you please let me know

336451 - WINDOW CHANNEL TOP FRONT DOOR

330202 -DOOR TOP FIXED GLASS SPACER

347488 - WINDOW CHANNEL LOWER

336454- WINDOW CHANNEL DOOR TOP SIDE

330203 - DOOR TOP GLASS SPACER

330660 - SLIDING WINDOW SEAL RUBBER

330661- SEAL RETAINING CHANNEL

330198 - DOOR TOP GLASS RETAINER

MTC3180 - DOOR TOP FILLER STRIP

AB606031L -SELF TAPPING SCREW NO. 6 X 3/8

AC606041L - SCREW SELF TAPPING NO. 6 X 1/2

Many thanks

TOm

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Ok ... I've received the window kit and got all the piece of glass made.

I am aware that the front window basically sits in the frame and is glued in as well as being clamped down.

I am I right in thinking that everyone uses silicone as the 'glue'? Also is there any type of silicon which is better suited for the job (instead of all purpose stuff)?

I am only asking because I've been able to get my hands on a Standard series 3 window which seems to have Black sealant in it (which never seemed to set meaning it stays sticky?).

Tom

Hi

Ok ... I've received the window kit and got all the piece of glass made.

I am aware that the front window basically sits in the frame and is glued in as well as being clamped down.

I am I right in thinking that everyone uses silicone as the 'glue'? Also is there any type of silicon which is better suited for the job (instead of all purpose stuff)?

I am only asking because I've been able to get my hands on a Standard series 3 window which seems to have Black sealant in it (which never seemed to set meaning it stays sticky?).

Tom

I use whatever is lying about, but I may start using DumDum as it might be cleaner.

DumDum is a semi setting sealant.

G.

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but pardon the pun, but I have a Dumdum question.

Why use this stuff for setting glass in a Landy vs silicone? A few months ago, I used black silicone to seal up my rear door glass in my 88" because of the leaks. The sealant that was there (in some places) was not sealing the glass at all and through most of the area, it was flaking out in big chunks. Same thing with the side glass in the doors... Am I missing something here? besides, dumdum is alot messier to work with than silicone.

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but pardon the pun, but I have a Dumdum question.

Why use this stuff for setting glass in a Landy vs silicone? A few months ago, I used black silicone to seal up my rear door glass in my 88" because of the leaks. The sealant that was there (in some places) was not sealing the glass at all and through most of the area, it was flaking out in big chunks. Same thing with the side glass in the doors... Am I missing something here? besides, dumdum is alot messier to work with than silicone.

I think DumDUm has more cushion, and so the glass is less subject to fracturing from vibration/shock.

Donno, really.

G.