Anti 4x4 being shot to ribbons on another forum

Cartman

I wonder whether the Police will be giving up their 4x4s?

yes

How often do you see a 4.8 V8 police Range Rover go off road.

What gets me is

I work harder to get a better car and house and quality of life but

A big house has high stamp duty and high counsel tax

A nice car have extra tax for road tax having paid 7-10k in VAT when I got it and I pay tax at the pump.

A get promoted and have to pay more tax at a much higher rate.

What is the Point is staying in the UK there is no reason to better your self by working hard your better off on the doll.

My Pro Land Rover argument would be thus:

We have 3 cars

Land Rover 90

Ford Focus Hatch

Volvo V40

Presently, the smallest car (the 90) is the only one we can go out as a family in that is:-

2 adults

a baby, in car seat, all in the front

Baby Buggy,

Baby parephenalia,

Luggage on the wheelboxes

and 2 large dogs on the rear floor

In the Volvo, the biggest car, we would have to leave one dog or the baby buggy.

In the Focus, larger footprint than the 90, we would have to leave both dogs or the baby buggy.

In an ideal world I would be able to sell the Focus and Volvo and replace with a 110 running on biodiesel from renewable or waste sources.

Unfortunately the govenment's insistence that fuel from renewable sources is taxed as harshly as fossil fuels makes this unviable financially!

This govenment (and to be fair non of it's predecessors) has any intention to make vehicles more "green" otherwise biodiesel would have been available commercially and cheaply 5 years ago.

All this green anti 4x4 politics is largely rubbish when you take into account the long lifespan of a Land Rover. The polution is in the manufacture and disposal of cars, not the running. As most Land Rovers are still running and the ones that arn't are heavily used for spares I suspect you could argue they are the most green cars. The Prius will be outdated old hat within 5/10 years.

And we need todays RR Sport Chelsea tractor purchasers so that we can buy them when it's uneconomic for a dealer to fix them. B)

That's a funny thread - bit long though

This made me spit tea all over the keyboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega1987

I’ve got nothing against symbols of wealth just as long as they don’t inter fear with my life, a Rolex would be hard pressed to do that.

Reply:

It would interfere with your life if someone jammed one up your árse.

:D:D

My Pro Land Rover argument would be thus:

We have 3 cars

Land Rover 90

Ford Focus Hatch

Volvo V40

Presently, the smallest car (the 90) is the only one we can go out as a family in that is:-

2 adults

a baby, in car seat, all in the front

Baby Buggy,

Baby parephenalia,

Luggage on the wheelboxes

and 2 large dogs on the rear floor

In the Volvo, the biggest car, we would have to leave one dog or the baby buggy.

In the Focus, larger footprint than the 90, we would have to leave both dogs or the baby buggy.

In an ideal world I would be able to sell the Focus and Volvo and replace with a 110 running on biodiesel from renewable or waste sources.

Unfortunately the govenment's insistence that fuel from renewable sources is taxed as harshly as fossil fuels makes this unviable financially!

This govenment (and to be fair non of it's predecessors) has any intention to make vehicles more "green" otherwise biodiesel would have been available commercially and cheaply 5 years ago.

Focus estate is near on the same size as my disco 2 a 90 is smaller than a clio

A jag "S" type is wider and a lot longer than a Disco 2 which is the same size as a 110

The same government for the last 8-9 years so the problems with everything today is down to Labour

chatting to a mate this morning, his neighbor has never worked but has a benefit income of £20,000 per yer and has just bought there council house for next to nothing which is worth £130,000.

I have a junior QS 21years old that works 7.30-5.30 and earns £20,000 per yr and is struggling to get on the housing market but has no hope of raising the cash.

WHAT IS THE POINT IN WORKING

Labour Party believes the Taxpayer are second class citizens and rob from the hard working to give to the idle.

Sorry to rant

I have a junior QS 21years old that works 7.30-5.30 and earns £20,000 per yr and is struggling to get on the housing market but has no hope of raising the cash.

WHAT IS THE POINT IN WORKING

Labour Party believes the Taxpayer are second class citizens and rob from the hard working to give to the idle.

Sorry to rant

Same problem, aircraft designer on £21k, can't get on the market :unsure: however if the job down Haslar falls through I'm thinking of jacking my career in and going back to the shop floor down Toulouse and fit looms into Airbus's for £60k a year contracting :huh:

Same problem, aircraft designer on £21k, can't get on the market :unsure: however if the job down Haslar falls through I'm thinking of jacking my career in and going back to the shop floor down Toulouse and fit looms into Airbus's for £60k a year contracting :huh:

That's a HELL of a lot more than the IT contracters get paid in Airbus in Toulouse. You sure about that figure? French rates in general are terrible and I'd be surprised if they'd compare with UK rates. :huh:

That's a HELL of a lot more than the IT contracters get paid in Airbus in Toulouse. You sure about that figure? French rates in general are terrible and I'd be surprised if they'd compare with UK rates. :huh:

The A380 product is on "panic" mode at present as they are 6 months behind delivering aircraft to the customers, QinetiQ Boscombe Down has lost something like ten people over the past month, all Avionic Electronic airframe fitters from the hanger floor (from just out of their apprenticeship, to chargehands), including an armourer (did looming during the apprenticeship at BD) who have all gone down there and averaging out at £60k on the overtime they're getting at present trying to get the A380 lost-time back.

In some ways I wish I'd jumped on the band wagon back in December and said sod design, but time will tell if this "panic" is going to be going until their 18months is up :unsure:

In some ways I wish I'd jumped on the band wagon back in December and said sod design, but time will tell if this "panic" is going to be going until their 18months is up :unsure:

That's pretty cool, considering the French economy at the moment.

I was "contracting" as they call (really a way of getting rid of you after 3 months, you don't earn more) it in the Alps for a while and was earning about 1/4 of that.

Toulouse is a very cool city, I'd be tempted :P