Basic shock question

Ok got me some new shocks but not sure how to get the old ones off. Mainly the bottom nut, I assume you are meant to hold the shock on the small flat part of the threaded stem to stop it spinning the whole shock body and then use a big spanner to undo the nut. Sadly mine seems fairly well rusted up. Are there any tips, techniques or tools to make it easier?

Help much appreciated :)

Ok got me some new shocks but not sure how to get the old ones off. Mainly the bottom nut, I assume you are meant to hold the shock on the small flat part of the threaded stem to stop it spinning the whole shock body and then use a big spanner to undo the nut. Sadly mine seems fairly well rusted up. Are there any tips, techniques or tools to make it easier?

hold the shock with pipe grips or stealsons (pipe spanners) then undo the nut rather primative but it worked on mine also wire brush really well first and spray with wd40 or similar

i've used the same method as nick, but you could use a nut splitter or hammer a large screw driver or similar through and use that to hold it or an oil filter wrench.

hammered a screwdriver through one whilst doing a friends too bit messy though and quiet difficult as the punch hole gets bigger so you have to hope the nut gets looser or to much movement occours

Or just use a hacksaw :)

Front or rear?

If the front you can disassemble the hacksaw and reassemble it around the spring seat, and go at it that way. If you have a sharp chisel, removing some or all of the rubber helps.

It's not unccommon for them to be siezed solid TBH.

Best bet is to use some good quality penetrating oil or similar on the nuts and leave overnight for it to soak in, then use some big stilsons or grips around the very base of the shock body and undo the nut. It's worth using a length of pipe on a spanner for extra leverage too.

Hope this helps

Ring spanner on nut, pipe grips on shocker and spin it of using the pipe grips, ring spanner will jam up against housing

Simples peoples

or if you have one a gax axe, though i have always got them of with the pipe grips

Regards

Keith