Is my TD5 overheating?

I live in the US and have a 2000 Td5 110 CSW with Allisport re-chip, Allisport intercooler, EGR bypass and turbo boost box and stock radiator. Engine has 75,000 on it.

Was going up a steep grade at about 70 miles in 95 F degree weather and noticed the needle almost to red. Eased off the pedal and temp went back to normal. I could control the needle by easing off the throttle and slowing to 55 mph. Replaced thermostat, viscous fan, expansion tank, all hoses and flushed the system.

Did another test today in the same weather conditions and the problem persists exactly the same. This time I used a Nanocom to monitor the temperature. In 95 F degree weather in city traffic, coolant temp stays between 92 C and 98 C. On the freeway going up the steep grade I hit 117 C and the needle was almost to red. Stopped and checked under the bonnet and coolant wasn't boiling. Had a slight smell of coolant in the engine bay.

Noticed that the temp gauge will stay below the half mark from 80 C to 115C. After 115C it goes up rapidly.

Am I risking damage above 115C? I probably hit 118 C or 119 C the first time around. Do you guys think I caused any damage? What's the highest it can go without causing problems.

I'm not loosing coolant and my hoses are all soft. Don't think it is head gasket. Any suggestions?

By the way, 110 wasn't loaded and I wasn't towing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My 2002 Td5 110 with Td5 Alive chip/intercooler etc and nanocom runs at 86 degrees even up hills and does not seem to vary, If I pull a 3 1/2tonne trailer fully loaded it stays the same.

When I was in Spain a few years ago with another 110 on the trailer, it again stayed constant and this was in the hilly parts of Barcelona (did slow to 20mph mind - but that was before it was TD5'd)

Something aint right there.

Perhaps a faulty Coolant Temperature Sender, but any engine getting to 115C is in danger of death.

I'd say that 100c is the maximum safe limit i'd like to see, with normal running at around 90. >100c says danger to me.

Seen as your normal running is quite a bit above 90, and you've just fitted a new stat, i'd swap out the CTS to see if that makes any difference.

If its not that then it could be the water pump itself.

Something aint right there.

Perhaps a faulty Coolant Temperature Sender, but any engine getting to 115C is in danger of death.

I'd say that 100c is the maximum safe limit i'd like to see, with normal running at around 90. >100c says danger to me.

Seen as your normal running is quite a bit above 90, and you've just fitted a new stat, i'd swap out the CTS to see if that makes any difference.

If its not that then it could be the water pump itself.

Will try that. Thanks.

OK 75,000 on the engine but how many on the radiator? This sounds like classic restriction to the flow somewhere or not pumping at all. Flush through and if no better try with thermostat removed. After that new pump. Given history of motor then it could have been run with no anti freeze which is also corrosion inhibitor.

Good luck!

few things.

1. thermostat jam

2. water pump blades gone

3. collasped hose. (the large one that exits the engine block)

4. radiator choke.

when the water pump blades rust away, they become 'rust' particles and choke up the radiator. you will need to remove it and flush it. might as well replace the water pump too since it's already out. while you are at it, replace the centrifuge oil filter too. that will need to come off too. check your PAS pump too, it will have to also come out. might as well do the belt and tentioner too. depending on the age of the engine, might as well replace the over flow resivour bowl. it easily cracks after a long while.

Td5 cooling system are easy to bleed so they generally do not have an air lock problem in the system.

i've just drained my system and filled up with toyota anti freeze. works well. it's the premix version so it's a lil expensive for the amount of coolant to water ratio you are paying for, but it's red in colour and makes it easy to spot if there's a leak.

Td5 under normal conditions will sit at 88 deg C. 100 is already too high. the mark on the temp gauge is slight to the left of the middle.